WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Roller coaster ride

Parenting young ones is quite a roller coaster ride, and friends, I do NOT like roller coasters!

This is a long post, but each detail shows how every little thing just rolls into something else....

We were having decent morning. A little rough because I was too tired to shower late last night so getting one this morning was a challenge, but we got through it.

And then we were ready to go to town for another lakeside walk. It was a lovely walk. The kids sat nicely and we enjoyed exploring pine cones, pine needles vs leaves, feathers, beavers, the difference between ducks and geese, ducks sleeping, and people fishing. It was great.

Then after seeing all those people fishing I decided I wanted to go ahead to Pamida and get Eli one of the cute little kids' fishing poles they have there right now. On the way we saw friends from church out walking so we turned around so we could drive by them and say Hi. Then we continue on to Pamida and on the way realized if we were getting something for Eli, then we should probably get something for Hannah too. So once in the store we quickly found Eli's little Spiderman fishing pole and then went to the toy section to find something for Hannah, preferably some kind of outside toy. We found a pink princess smaller-sized rubber kickball type ball and went with that. While in the toy section we saw a grandma looking through the toys and she asked what a 2-yr old boy would like so I said, "Well, Hannah's 2 right now. A boy would probably really like a dump truck for the sand!" And we carried on towards the front of the store to check out. As we got there I saw that there were the cheap sand dump trucks up front by all the Easter stuff so I went back to find the grandma and told her there were dump trucks up front. After the kids and I went to the office section to try to find a stapler, we went back to the checkout area and I saw the grandma carrying around a dump truck, and I felt so good for having helped her. Then we checked out and left Pamida.

I told the kids we were just putting our purchases in the car and then going next door to the grocery store for a few things. Well, Hannah did great putting her new pink ball in the van, however Eli decided to fuss about it and kept trying to climb into his seat even though I'd told him more than once that we were going into the grocery store. Kept fussing, finally I got him to leave his fishing pole and climb out of the van. I awkwardly got the cart put away while at the same time not trying to keep my older two from getting run over by cars in the parking lot. Did it. Then we went into the grocery store, and I pulled out a new cart. Both kids stand on the side of it and the whole flippin' thing starts to tip over. Mid-fall and while trying to get Carter's seat in, I catch the cart and place it back upright. I get Carter's seat clipped in but the cart is broken a little, so even with the back of his seat clipped in, the front was still hanging high in the air. So I switch to a different cart, lift Hannah into the basket part, and then Eli starts fussing that he wants in the cart too. He's really heavy for me to lift that high, we're just getting 3 things right up front in the produce section, and he has a freshly skinned knee from the parking lot, so I told him to just walk this time. Doesn't want to. After Eli fussing at the van, the cart tipping over, and now this all in the last 2 minutes I've had it and we head straight to the bathroom for discipline. I spank him and he starts to pee his pants. I very frustratingly and quickly yank his shorts down and plop him on the toilet since it was right there. He's already peed his shorts enough they need changed, but I don't have any new underwear or pull-up in my bag today because I just recently cleaned it out some since I've been overwhelmed with how much I carry around all the time and I can never find anything. SO I made him put on one of Hannah's diapers, and you can imagine how he felt about that. Meanwhile Hannah's been playing with the sink and got her coat all wet. I get Eli dressed again, we grab our cart and just leave. Didn't even get anything from the store. I couldn't take a single minute more. This time heading into the parking lot we saw someone else from church. She rolled down her window and said, "Oh you got the little ones today!" I replied with a smile, "Yeah, I wish I didn't. We're going home now." She says, "Okay! See you later!" Now I feel bad that I was so rushed with them. We get in the car, go home, get lunch, and then nap time.

For whatever reason Hannah would NOT nap. 5 times I went in and spanked her. 6th time I sat in her room until she was almost asleep. But as soon as I left she started talking again. 7th time two hard spankings. 8th time, daddy went in, leaving her with a gaspy cry. A little while later I heard her still crying and calling for me, so 9th time I went in and rocked her, my 2 yr-old, and she went to sleep.

I went downstairs and Carter was awake and crying.

And this is my day. Wow. WOW.

5 comments:

The Fischer Family said...

Prayers....lots and lots of prayers coming your way! You'll make it! I promise! And I appreciate your honesty! Sometimes we try to hide how hard things are and that makes it even harder! Lots of love for you this Easter!

Kathy said...

Sarah - I've been reading all your recent posts, here and on FB. I feel as though you're telling my story from just a few yrs back. Only I have only 2 kids, not 3 so I can only imagine how much harder that is.

I had SOOOO many days just like you've described. Days when I'm ashamed to say I lost my temper almost continuously b/c of my frustrations over the kids not doing what i wanted, when I wanted. I now regret all that lost time, as I'll never get it back now.

Just try your best to hang in there. It will get better and suddenly you'll wonder where your little toddlers have gone as they'll be grown up so fast. I admire how well you do with discipline - that is so important and will be so worth all the battles in the long run.

Take one day at a time and keep holding on to Jesus. I will keep you in my prayers!

Love in Christ, Kathy

Kris Hughes said...

I remember those days of what seems like constant spankings...But just to encourage you by the time both of my children were 5 (my daughter is currently 5) the need for spankings became rare. Though I only have 2 I feel your frustration! I'll leave you with the advice our lamaze teacher gave us that has rang true for the past 11 years..."this too shall pass"!
God Bless!

S Club Mama said...

Oh sweetie, this post about made me cry because we have had so many days like that (I had many days like it with just Tristan!). It's not an easy job being a mom - and anyone who wants to say otherwise obviously hasn't done it. You are doing great - your kids are great so of course that comes from great parenting. :)
I appreciate these "real" posts because honestly, you never seem flustered like I always feel like I look. You always look so calm & collected. :)

The Cutes and Scoots Show said...

I am sure that things will get better. They are just children after all and sometimes need correcting and sometimes, like all of us, just have a "bad day". Unfortunately because they are so young and inexperienced in the emotional world they don't often know how to express their thoughts and feelings and instead use their behavior and body language to display these feelings. It's our job as parents during these rough times to dig that much deeper and find the will to set a good example.

I'll send ya an email about the things we have found have worked for us with some of the tough times you've been having.
Hang in there and seek peace throughout the good days.