WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Monday, July 27, 2009

Monday Meanderings

Bible Study - In our church Sunday school we're watching the study When I Don't Desire God. With it comes the study book and questions and verses to read on your own. So this week I'm going to work through this week's lesson.

Memory Verse - Psalm 27:14 Wait on the Lord--be of good courage and He will strengthen your heart. Wait, I say, on the Lord!

Husband Encouragement - I'm going to put in some extra effort and actually make us a nice breakfast on Saturday! Coffee cake, since we very rarely have that. Usually we do pancakes or something but something special would be a nice treat for this week!

Train Them Up - Since Eli's doing sooo well memorizing the Lord's Prayer at bed time, it's time to start doing short memory verses with him also! Verse #1: “Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.” Ephesians 6:1

Personal Goal - I've been sort of going through the 31 Days to Clean, and this week I really want to work on following through with my "6 List" every day.

Fitness Goal - walk 3 days this week. I walked regularly through both of my last pregnancies and I felt very good and had great pregnancies, so last week I decided to start walking again and it felt great! We drive to town early in the morning before it gets hot and after a couple days experimenting with routes I think I've got a good plan in place, varying the places we walk.

Must Do
* write to Grandma including kids pics I printed a long time ago and already outdated!
* look over/create budget for house projects
* call an electrician. Because of our old house and several new window air conditioner units we're blowing fuses at least once a day!

Zone - pantry shelves

Menu - yay for having an appetite back!!

Monday - county fair!
Tuesday - deli wraps, applesauce, celery
Wednesday - chicken veggie packs, apple
Thursday - broccoli sausage breakfast bake, peaches
Friday - chicken parmesan, curried rice pilaf, cooked carrots
Saturday - coffee cake for breakfast, dinner- taco nachos, Nannie's green jello salad
Sunday - frozen pizza

Fun Things
* It's the county fair today and tomorrow! Both days open with a parade in which the kids and I will be walking for MOPS.
* It's going to be beautiful weather this week!

Question of the week - Parenting
Eli is very dramatic and overall everything seems to be a big deal to him. He does NOT accept change well and is very unwilling to try new things. New shoes, new potty pants (those plastic ones that go on top of underwear), sitting on any potty besides his own, trying to teach him to put his own shorts on, anything like that. He just CRIES in a whole big fit, and it's just sooo frustrating!!! I've tried being soft with him or make up silly games to try to make it easier for him but when it still results in a huge tears, I get tired of trying it that way. Especially when it comes to moving forward with potty training and sitting on big potties, how can I get him encourage him to just TRY!! I've even mentioned treats, regarding the potty, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Ack!! Help??

3 comments:

Angie said...

What a good choice you made when choosing a verse you would memorize! I pray it will root itself deeply in your heart as you memorize it.

Also, I think you'll really benefit from having Eli memorize verses--not only will it be a blessing to him down the road but it will be a blessing to you. We have 2 or 3 verses that we had Caleb memorize and we can usually apply one of them during discipline. God is so kind that when Caleb is having a hard heart, having him say one of his verses (that applies) will almost immediately soften his heart and bring him out of rebellion mode!

Praying for you!

The Cutes and Scoots Show said...

Hmmm. Doing my best to wrack my brain about how we got Colby to just sit on the actual toilet and not his little potty. I think it may have just been our decision because I needed something to stop him from getting up and walking away while we were waiting for the pee pees to come. Our potty had the removable top that would sit up on the actual toilet so I think 1 day I finally just removed the bottom bowl of the potty chair and put the top on the toilet. I'm sure he noticed it was gone but he was ok with sitting on the little seat as it was familiar to him. After a few weeks of that I think we finally just removed the top and now he goes sitting down on the actual toilet. Makes things easier especially when going out in public.

Another thing that seemed to motivate him to go was putting cheerios in the toilet and making it a game for him to sink the ships (aka pee on the Os). We used this as a way to get him to be able to sit and just go right away (which Eli seems to already be doing) but perhaps you can use it as a fun way to give him incentive to sit and try this fun game. And as you read on our blog we did puzzles, games, stickers and everything else to make the bathroom a fun place. Oh and Colbster loved to wash his hands so he was motivated to go because I wouldn't let him wash unless he actually went when he sat on the potty.

Guess the only other thing I know we have definitely done was a total open door policy in the bathroom. We go... he comes with. Helps with ripping the TP and flushing. Eventually I think he realized that everyone goes and goes on the "big potty."


I think the thing that I finally realized was that if I made it a "non-issue" and just asked him to "try" 2 or 3 times a morning when I also had to go (because I was pregnant and had to go ALL the time) as opposed to every 15 minutes he was less stressed out about it and produced each and every time. I think he felt a lot of pressure and was worried about not being able to go.


Just some ideas. And just for your benefit since you've got #3 already on the way. Might as well get Hannah involved too. The sooner the better! She already seems to know to bring you the full bowl :) hehe

good Luck and I'll keep thinking of our tricks.

Jules said...

You have no idea how much you encourage me with your goals! I need SO much help in that area, sometimes I am just so undisciplined! So, thank you!!

As for the potty training,even at 4 yrs. old we still have problems with Claire occasionally(with "accidents" for attention) and Lily is so back and forth that some days I feel like I am losing my mind!! I hope it gets better soon and I know that you are frustrated. I wish I could give good advice but at this season we are in, I really just don't have any!! The ONLY thing that has worked for me is to just keep calm and act like it's not a big deal....just take the pressure off. They seem to respond to that better than anything! Small wonder, huh?! lol

Well, if I find anything that works, you will be the first to know!!