WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Tackle it Tuesday

This was my tackle yesterday and now today I finally get to blog about it. It's my goal this week to get some projects finished, so yesterday I decided to work on the curtains for the pantry shelves and get them all done (including installation of curtain rods) before Kevin got home from work. And it was a success! I always feel bad about asking Kevin to do things for me after he gets home from work, so the last couple months I've been determined to try more projects on my own, do things I normally wouldn't try and prove to myself that I CAN DO IT! The curtains were a synch, since we were using some I had made and used before at a previous house. The one problem is that they were too short. They only reached about 2/3 of the way down the shelves. BUT I had three curtains of the same size (all short) and only needed two long ones. So I used the extra curtain to make up the length on the other two. I just folded it in half, cut on the fold, and sewed it on to the bottoms of the others. Easy.

Getting the curtain rod installed was a tad trickier, usually the part that Kevin does. But since these shelves are really nothing fancy I decided I could handle drilling holes all by myself. I found the drill, found the correct-sized drill bit to match the screws I had, figured out after not too much time how to change out the drill bit on the drill, marked spots for the holes, drilled into wood, and inserted screws. No problems at all! The ONLY thing is that I didn't realize how much wider the left set of shelves is compared to the right set, and the curtain rod is extended almost to it's very maximum length, causing it to bend a little bit in the middle. But that's it. Project is complete!

Oh yeah, I should mention, though I'm sure you can already tell, our dining room is still not finished. Since it's kind of a big project to redo the walls and flooring (and probably those shelves too) and the electrical and insulation, we'll have to wait 'til next summer to even start. For now at least we have the space after we knocked the middle wall out. We've just gotten used to it but when I go to publish these pictures on a blog, I realize how crappy it does actually look! Anyway, here are the pics...
before (very exposed shelves full of junk)
after! (nothing fancy but definitely much better)
both the color and fabric pattern match almost exactly to the paint color in the kitchen! for just what we already had on hand, I'd say that's not bad!

5 comments:

alisha said...

You go girl! :) ha ha. Good job Sarah! It looks great!

Jennifer said...

Wow! What a dramatic difference! The curtains make a great backdrop for a family meal. Very cozy!

Unknown said...

Wow, this looks great Sarah-- what a difference! And I am totally impressed you put up the curtain rod by yourself; I usually shy away from doing those types of things by myself, too! I am feeling inspired... Take care, Jacquie

Servant Becca said...

Wow! That curtain certain adds atmosphere to the space. In some ways, it is wonderful to hear that although you took out the wall and extended the dining room, finishing that project will take time.

Too often the things of this world bind us down to wanting perfection and "the magazine" look within our home. You have always said to me that you want to fill your house with people -- and that certainly is much more important than things or "the" look.

Those curtains, though, do give a warmth. Good job!

The Fischer Family said...

Looks good Sarah! Don't you love proving to yourself (and your husband) that you can do home improvements on your own! Good job!