WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Weekly Memory Verse

Good morning, everyone! Sorry I'm a little late getting this up. I didn't get this post prepared last night so I'm just getting time for it now as I lay Eli down for nap.

How are you doing with the verses? Are taking on the challenge of committing them to memory? Are meditating on them throughout the week? Or have you just sort of forgotten about it? I feel like I'm losing the drive I had when I first started this challenge. I really have been memorizing them, but I'm going to get caught up this week and make sure that all the verses are in my little memory verse can so I can practice them throughout the week.

Okay, let's play another review game this week. As far I know my mom is the only one who responds to this post ever and she is gone this week, so I hope for someone to participate! I'll give you the verses and you tell me the reference. Even if you don't have it memorized, this game will at least encourage you to do some research!

#1 So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.

#2 How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

#3 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

#4 Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

#5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.

#6 Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart that I may fear your name. I will praise You, O Lord my God, with all my heart; I will glorify Your name forever.

#7 Let us consider how may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together--as some are in the habit of doing--but let us encourage one another, and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

#8 Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind. And love your neighbor as yourself. (This is a tricky one because it's in several places in the Bible)

#9 Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God.

#10 Do not let the Word of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night so that you will be careful to do everything in it; then you will be prosperous and successful.

And for the new verse. Another from Colossians...

Colossians 3:16
Let the word of Christ dwell in your richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.


Why memorize scripture? (Taken from THIS WEBSITE)
  1. His word is truth God has given us his word so we can learn to identify truth from error. Hebrews 4:12, 2 Timothy 2:14-17, Psalm 12:6
  2. His word is a delight to my soul. The entire 119th Psalm is dedicated to the praise of the Word of God. Read it several times and you will see how David, Israel's King, finds special delight and freedom in knowing and following God's Commandments. Psalm 119:35, Psalm 119:32, Psalm 119:45-47
  3. His word is nourishment for my soul. Each day my body needs air, food, water and sleep. These things keep my body healthy. It is important to learn to care for yourself. If you fail to do so, after an extended time, you will start to loose your health. The human soul and spirit are no different. We need to feed on the word of God on a regular basis. Psalm 19:7-8, Matthew 4:4 You have head the expression, 'you are what you eat'. It equally true to say 'you are (and are becoming) what you think about'. Exposure to the word of God can purify your mind and your heart.. Luke 6:45, Matthew 15:18, Matthew 7:20-23, Proverbs 27:19, Proverbs 4:23
  4. God instructs us to keep his word close to our heart! This makes sure that we do not stray from Him. Deuteronomy 6:6-9, Deuteronomy 11:18-21, Joshua 1:7-8, Colossians 3:16, Psalm 119:148
Click here for info on how to memorize scripture.

Okay, if want to join me in memorizing Colossians 3:16 this week, sign your name below (even if you don't have a blog). And please, I'd encourage you to participate in the review game, even if it's just one or two verses! Have a great week!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

#1 Col. 2:6-7

#2 Psalm 119:9-11

#3 Rom. 15:13

#4 Col. 4:6

#5 Prov. 3:5-6

#6 Psalm 86:11-12

#7 Heb. 10:24-25

#8 Luke 10:27 (actually only occurs here in this form)

#9 2 Cor. 3:5

#10 Josh. 1:8

Do I win?? :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome!! When do you normally begin, on Mondays? Considering it is Friday afternoon I will wait until the next one. I am so game!! I love that site. I found it a few months ago and was so inspired. I have been wanting to share my thoughts on why it is so important to hide His word in our hearts. Thank you for encouraging us to memorize the living word of God!!

JOYfully in HIm,
Kelli