WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Book Activity: Rock Cakes

So sometimes it's just too much for me to plan a whole week of lessons for "school time". And I'm not very good at doing seasonal crafts anymore, not sure why. But lately I've been thinking how fun it would be to do activities based on some of the kids' favorite books. So here's our first try at it...

The book: Fun To Learn, Counting by Nina Filipek (great series of books, by the way, for learning time , counting, early reading etc)
The activity: making "rock cakes", aka popcorn balls, like on this page and coloring them the same as in the book.

The popcorn balls were super yummy! I followed this recipe. It made it a lot more complicated to do different colors because I had to divide up the sticky sauce into four bowls to dye it, then four different bowls of popcorn. All of which had to soak for a few minutes before washing. But it was good and we got to do some color mixing. The big flaw in this whole activity is that the kids never got to eat any!! LOL We made them right before going to Grandma and Grandpa's for the weekend and we brought them with us to share them, and we were having so much fun at their house the kids just didn't have much chance for such a sweet snack. Daddy didn't get any either so I'm thinking we'll make some more but without all the colors, and then it will be much easier to make. Fun activity though!

Next idea: The kids love The Color Kittens book, so I want to do color mixing with paint and paint some pictures.

No comments: