WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Preparing for Christmas!

Seeing that we don't have a house of our own right now (or any of our belongings that are in storage), Christmas is a little different this year. At first I was really bummed, but now it's actually turning out to be okay!

Christmas celebrations for us started Friday after Thanksgiving with a small German Christmas festival in my hometown. We listened to brass Christmas carols, watched the grand lighting of main street, saw fireworks, ate some yummy pie, and drove by a big Christmas light display always set up at a local family farm. We didn't think we were going to have a Christmas tree at all this year, but a lady I know well from my Dad's church offered a small one she always used to use in her school classroom. That was sooo nice of her and we're delighted to have a lil' tree, even if it's Charlie Brown style! For the first time this year we're doing a Jesse Tree throughout Advent season. It highlights the stories of the Bible, reminding us of all that God is and our need for Jesus. We get the kids in their jammies and each night before bed we read the story for the day from Eli's Storybook Bible and then hang my homemade ornament/symbol right on our little Christmas tree. You can read more about the Jesse Tree HERE.

Since we don't have any other decorations to get out, I thought it would be nice to make a point of going to Kevin's parent's house to help them set up their tree and decorations. Kevin's dad trucks so it's usually just Nannie and Kevin's mom who has physical limitations due to health problems. So we're going to make a day of it today by putting on some Christmas music and having fun! It will be a blessing to them as well as to us!

Also this year we'll be watching The Nativity Story movie and getting out a plastic nativity set to teach the story to the children. I love this time of year, and it's such a joy to involve the kids in the celebrations!


3 comments:

bp said...

Thanks SO much for sharing about the Jesse Tree!

Sharon said...

The tree is nice! :) I think it matters more not what the tree looks like, but the fact that it's being done as a family.

We've been doing ok so far. Our Advent wreath is out and we're doing a daily family prayer, lighting it during dinner. I just now out our nativity scene out. I do love this time of year.

Never watched The Nativity Story. Maybe we'll have to check that out.

Amy said...

I like the tree! We put up a charlie brown tree every year, it's the best way to go! Some day my dream is to have a real christmas tree planted in our front yard that we can decorate. Anyway, I like the ideas you shared too, take care!