WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Friday, December 18, 2009

New cake decorating technique!

Every month at our church we have a women's fellowship meeting. "Godly Girlfriends" it's called. Before heading into devotion time, prayer, and snacks, someone shares an "added attraction". Last night one of the ladies taught us how to make bows, last month we got some fun ideas for creating gift baskets, and the previous months we've learned how to make candles and do cake decorating.

Now cake decorating isn't really my thing. It's hard and frustrating, takes forever to do, and the cake never quite turns out how I wanted. But I try. And I'm learning. So I was pretty excited when we learned some tricks at our fellowship meeting! Afterward I went out and bought the same pan (12x2" circle pan) and frosting spatula that our friend Rachel used in the demonstration, and now finally since it was Kevin's birthday this week I got a chance to try it out!

Step 1: Cut up a towel into strips the same width as the cake pan depth. Use metal safety pins to pin together your strips of towel so the whole thing will wrap around your pan 4 or 5 times. Wet the towel and wrap it around the cake pan. Bake according to your directions. I'd sort of tried this before and knew it helped, but this was so much easier to have the towel cut into nice strips and pinned together. This whole process helps your cake come out with a flat top instead of rounded. See?
Step 2:
Let your cake cool fully.

Step 3: Pick an image you want to use for your decoration. Anything you want. Kevin likes Jeeps, so I went online and Googled "jeep coloring page" and printed. Now cut out the picture, cutting along the lines of the picture as much as you can without actually cutting the picture apart.

Step 4: Frost your cake as normal and let it sit for about 10 minutes, 'til it's dry to the touch.

Step 5: Now lay your picture on the cake and gently press it into the frosting with a butter knife, especially so you can see the inside edges of your picture where details are.

Step 6: Now gently lift the picture off the cake, and you'll see your print in the frosting so you don't have to try to freehand a design or find a specific-shaped cake pan. Now when I did this I didn't let the frosting sit quite long enough so it smeared a little bit when I pulled the paper off, but I could still see it clearly enough. You'll see most of the lines for your picture, and then you can fill in where needed when your doing your frosting outline.

Step 7: Using a small frosting tip, outline all the lines on your picture. Then fill in accordingly with colors of your choice. Two more lessons I learned trying this one: 1) a Wilton 16 tip was NOT small enough, so I didn't have enough space for all the detail of the picture. I should've used my Wilton 3 tip, which I realized as soon as I started, but the tip was already in the bottom of the frosting bag so I couldn't really change it out. 2) For me the WORST part of cake decorating is getting the frosting the right colors. I couldn't get black for my outline, the darkest I got it was dark gray before I ran out of coloring. Then I wanted the Jeep to be a green color, but it turned out to be a really bright green, so I added in a little bit of the gray from the outline frosting, but that just made it a super dark green, and now you can't see the detailing of the Jeep because there's no contrast between the gray and green. But at least it gives you an idea of how it can turn out. I can't wait to try it again for Hannah's birthday in a few weeks, hopefully with a picture of a little less detail. Still came out pretty good though, huh?

I'm not very good at star-tipping, so for this one I just filled in the frosting and smeared it together a little bit. But still it was pretty easy and I'm excited about this new method! So what do you think? You gonna try it??

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another idea for transferring a picture to a cake:

Put a piece of wax paper over your picture and then outline and fill in with icing. After you are done, put the finished product in the freezer. Once frozen, peel it off the wax paper and apply to the cake. Easy breezy cake decorating!

In Light of the Truth... said...

huh? that actually sounds pretty complicated!

Anonymous said...

Ooh...I think I get what "Anon" was trying to suggest. Instead of trying to decorate the jeep directly on the cake from just an outline, you should take your picture & set it on a table. Just put a piece of wax paper over your pic (like tracing paper, because it's see-through). Then actually pipe the frosting onto the wax paper (instead of the cake) by essentially tracing your picture underneath. If you put the wax paper with the frosting on it in your freezer, it will be a little brittle, but you can probably handle it enough to pull it off the paper and transfer it onto the cake! Pretty cool idea...I'm going to try it!

In Light of the Truth... said...

It's the transfer part that I could totally see not going well! It just seems weird to place a frosting image on top of the cake instead of doing it on the cake itself. But it's a fun idea worth a try sometime!

Anonymous said...

It really is easier and more forgiving to use the wax paper transfer method. Once the image is frozen in the freezer, it transfers easily onto the cake. When the image is on the cake, you cannot tell that it wasn't decorated right on the cake. I learned about this in a cake decorating class.
Thanks,
Anon #1

Anonymous said...

By the way, the Jeep looks awesome! You did a great job.
Thanks,
Anon #1

In Light of the Truth... said...

How long do you let the frosting freeze? Is it just a few minutes or 30 minutes or more?? I'll try it sometime!

The Fischer Family said...

Sarah,
This cake looks really good! It's so funny, I had a post the other day about cake decorating, and I'll actually be posting one tomorrow with my son's 3rd birthday cake! I love it, but I'm still learning! I think your cake looks great! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

You let the image freeze for about an hour. Just long enough for it to be frozen enough to transfer to the cake.

Katy said...

I can't wait to try this! Thank you for sharing!!!