WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Thursday, December 31, 2009

The thing about bras.

Warning: This post is not for guys to read. Simply because you just won't understand any of what I'm talking about.

They (Oprah Show maybe?) say that what 80% of women are wearing the wrong bra size. And you know what, it's not our fault. It's because companies make them the wrong sizes!

Literally one of the best things about living in Connecticut for awhile was that I found an actual bra boutique where I could get measured and fitted and they actually carried my correct size! And guess what, it turns out I'm a 32HH (pregnant or nursing anyway, 32G normally)!! Sounds crazy, but that's more like the sizes we should be wearing. The scale needs to majorly be shifted because culture thinks that a DD woman is huge, but really, it's not at all! Yet that's all we see in the stores. Nothing bigger than a DD really and by then they've moved the band size all the way up to 40, which is totally wrong and hikes all the way up my back, not supporting me in the front at all. When all wrong sizes is all you can find in the stores, then what?

My life was changed in a big way when I found the right bra size. Seriously! Before I had NO support and if I bent over or jogged to catch a frisbee, I totally fell out of my bra! I constantly had to find ways to discreetly readjust, and that's just not cool. In CT, however, I was fitted with a proper bra and I discovered a whole new world! I had proper support, was lifted and could actually do active things like play frisbee or volleyball or simply bend down to pick up something without having to hold myself in. It was great! You have no idea. But it costs big bucks to find a 32HH bra, averaging probably $50-80 for just a bra that fits. But for me that's worth it, hands down. There's still not a big selection, but at least I've found some stores online that carry the size (since I'm no longer near my favorite boutique in CT), providing for my bra-wearing needs and giving me a freedom that really is priceless. Check out Her Room, Bare Necessities, or Fig Leaves.

Except when it comes to nursing bras. *sigh* Now we have to get even more specific. There are three bras to pick from in my size. Two still aren't quite big enough (I bubble out the top) but don't come in any larger sizes. And the third is OK, I've worn it before. It does the job but doesn't give you a very attractive look. Hard to explain. Bras are shaped differently, and this one isn't a shape or lift I really care for, but it just might have to do. Yay. So I guess this is the life for the next year while nursing. I know, it seems so petty. But a woman likes to feel attractive. And how a bra fits also makes a HUGE difference in how shirts fit.

So. I'm frustrated. I want to go in the bra-making business so I can just help offer the right sizes for women like me. I don't really feel like I'm that abnormal, so I don't quite understand why it's such a struggle. How can we get companies to start making the right sizes and offer a better selection in normal stores? Does anyone else even share these problems??

1 comment:

cryssi said...

Oh my gosh! You are so not alone...when I was nursing, I couldnt even find a bra that fit...I had to wear sports nursing bras to even get close (albeit, I was on a really really tight budget and could not afford even $40 for a good bra...). But I do understand what you mean and I dont know what to do about it...I used to buy my bras at JC Penney but since having kids, they dont eve carry my size (36 HH) They dont even have HH...

Thank you for sharing the websites and if you figure out a way to get the companies to make correct sizes, let me know...

Unfortunately, bras arent the only thing that aren't sized right or that don't offer sizes alot of us need....being 6'tall, it isnt easy to find clothes that fit right either... ;)

Crystal