WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Monday, August 27, 2007

It's Time...

...to wean Eli from his binky for sleep time. Lately he's been waking up super early in the morning (between 5 and 6:15am), tossing the binky right out of crib, and then wailing until I come in and get him. I know he can't sleep without it, so I have no choice but to go in. If he wakes in the night, he puts himself back to sleep, but that close to morning, there's not a chance. He's used the thing for every nap and every bedtime since Day 2 of his life, and here we are 13 months later. He's fully addicted and does not know how to sleep without it. Well, this week he's going to learn. I knew the time would eventually come, and I fear this week is The Week. Definitely want to get it over with before there's another baby in the house in six months. So here we go.

We're starting with nap times only and then once he does that well, we'll try the long stretch of bedtime. For now I think we can get by with using it during the day still, just during "those moments". Any binky parent knows. The amazing calming effect when he's tired and cranky, when he's bored in the car, when he has to just sit in the stroller, when he's getting hungry and fussy. Yup, those are the moments.

We have just made it through 30 minutes of on and off crying, and it now sounds quiet through the monitor... Good boy. My heart rate and blood pressure are returning to normal. And I can breathe a lot easier. Please, please, please let this be a good nap. Fortunately, we have nothing on our schedule this whole week. Nothing in which I panic saying "But he has to nap by X time." So we'll just go with the flow, do the best we can, and be consistent by not giving in. He will learn. And when he's up and awake, we'll give him all the lovins we can!

If you think of us this week, say a little prayer that this all goes well. For patience for momma, and comfort for Eli. This too shall pass.

5 comments:

cryssi said...

Hey,

came across your blog from my sisters, according to his power.

anyway, with my first daughter, we let her keep hers until my second was born (she was 18mths old) and she gave it up for the new baby in like two weeks. My second, started going without hers during the day and eventually went without it at night. She was a little tougher.

Good Luck. I will be praying that it goes well and quick. I know how nerve wracking it can be.

prayers
crystal

cryssi said...

Hey,

came across your blog from my sisters, according to his power.

anyway, with my first daughter, we let her keep hers until my second was born (she was 18mths old) and she gave it up for the new baby in like two weeks. My second, started going without hers during the day and eventually went without it at night. She was a little tougher.

Good Luck. I will be praying that it goes well and quick. I know how nerve wracking it can be.

prayers
crystal

Anonymous said...

Hey good luck! When we took Micah's he was 13 months and he just lay in his crib saying "uh oh dada" - it was enough to break your heart! Megan got angry with hers and she screamed for lke a week straight - she was 15 months and it was wrecking her teeth. Caleb lucked out and got some antibiotics that put him to sleep and I took advantage of the situation big time. Since I took it he is sleeping through the night for the first time ever! Just be tough and don't give in - he'll forget it in a few weeks!
Bethany

Jules said...

I can't really give you any advice because I am a sucker! My 2 yr old is still using hers at night but we are working on it this week! This post just reinforced my decision. I know that she is way to old, but I didn't want to take it away with the baby coming, and then it was because the baby was here. I am just a sucker.lol. Oh, we are going through so much with Claire right now! Pray for me, I will be praying for you! Love and Prayers, Julie

BellaMama said...

There's no need to rush it. There really is no hurry. I have 5, 6 and under. The 23 month old and the 10 month old still have pacifiers at any time. My 3 yr. old, I took it from him at 10 months when I was already expecting the now 23 mon. old. He had the most difficult time going to sleep for the longest time and I decided that at home, especially, it was no big deal. The oldest 2 I just waited til they were old enough to understand and told them stuff like, that's for babies, around age 3. If you need one less stress (especially when expecting) don't do this. If you want to take the bull by the horns---POTTY TRAIN!! :) Blessings of Peace to All of Yours!!