WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Just bragging on my boy!

Okay, so maybe, not bragging, because you know, that wouldn't be nice. But I sure am proud of Eli! Yesterday at Pamida (yes, that store still does exist in small towns such as ours) I found a big preschool workbook for only $4. While I know something like most of the pages could be found and printed free online, it sure is easier to do it this way. AND all the pages will be together so Eli can go back and see his work. The printed pages usually just get thrown away over time. So anyway, we did a couple pages yesterday, and I'm just so happy with his work! Lines are no problem for him, so we gave a shot at these. I thought the frog page would be overwhelming for him but he actually did really well! We didn't have time for coloring, but we did do the tracing part of it. Check it out!
Side note, Eli could not get the instruction of just tracing on the dotted part and not the solid line. (like half of a circle would be dotted and half would be solid and he's supposed only trace part of it) He can be really dense sometimes. Is this concept actually that tricky or is there more I can do to help him understand? I tried having him trace his finger on only the part he was supposed to trace, and absolutely nothing got through! I just know that a big part of these activities is teaching the child to follow instruction. And when he doesn't, I don't want to just quickly dismiss it. Any suggestions, or should I not even worry about it?

5 comments:

Kathy said...

I think he's still pretty young and he will get the concept eventually. I wouldn't worry too much about it for now. =)

He's doing great!

~~Kathy

Anonymous said...

My son is 8... I have been through all of this. Any preschool that you go to... they always have them learn straight lines first. That's why they learn upper case before lower case, more straight lines. Just holding a pencil or crayon, requires motor skills. Eli is doing good... but they have to learn to walk before they run.

In Light of the Truth... said...

Straight lines are easy for Eli. He does excellent and can trace letters that have straight lines (his name!). So now we're working on harder things like these circles and shapes. Of course we'll still be working on letters and the order of writing each stroke, because when he sees the letter as a whole he tends to want to curve the line instead of picking up the pencil and starting at a new point. Anyway, I love hearing everyone's little tidbits! I don't really know where to set my expectations for his age!

Bethany said...

he is so little, don't worry about it! goodness, a lot of kindergarteners can't even follow directions like that!

In Light of the Truth... said...

Okay, that makes me feel better! I don't really know what's normal for kids. All I know is Eli and don't have anything to compare to! So thanks for the input, guys!