WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Beat cabin fever!

I can't say I'm not totally ready for spring too, but here are some ideas for indoor fun if you're tired of play dough and crayons... (This post is for you, Alisha!)


#1 If you have any room at all, inflate an air mattress and let the kids have a blast jumping and doing flips and doing their little rowdy thing they do. Before we got our furniture, we had been doing this almost every day with our air mattress! I got the idea from when I visited my friend Katie last fall and her 2-yr old Toby and Eli bounced around on the air mattress we had set up. They had sooo much fun!
tackle!
#2 Put an inch or two of water in the kitchen sink, give 'em small bowls, spoons, lids, etc and let 'em just play in the water. Now I have not figured out how to do this without Eli's shirt getting completely wet, so make sure you have a spare shirt on hand! But seriously, Eli could do this for FOREVER. It's his favorite thing to do in life right now.#3 If you have an unfinished basement, get out the ol' tricycle and let him ride around.
#4 Bake something! We never get tired of making goodies!

#5 Play hide-and-seek. This is also a new favorite game for Eli.

#6 Get out old sheets and blankets, and build a fort over the furniture.

#7 If you have room in your house, set up a tent and "camp" for the night.

#8 Set up an indoor obstacle course--like hop over spoons, then climb over a box, crawl under a chair, etc. Who knows, I just made that up.

#9 Get creative, and build something out of boxes. See here and here for a couple ideas.

#10 Give in. It might not be spring, but you can still bundle up and go outside for at least a little bit.

What ideas do you have for beating the winter blues with your toddler??


7 comments:

JavaMama said...

Those are great ideas!! Right now it isn't to cold to go outside if bundled up and with boys... they don't care!

JOYfully in Him,
Kelli

Sharon said...

The sink one is a huge hit at our home, too.
Kids even think it's hilarious to wear their swimsuits in the bathtub during winter. Why not? Swim in the tub (play in water) during the day. Play beach music. As long as it lifts the mood!

Emily Anne Carson said...

SO FUN! :) I love all these ideas and will tuck them away for someday when I have little ones!

alisha said...

Thank you Sarah!! I LOVE the ideas! We've done some (Isaiah loves the water too!!) but you gave us lots of new ideas too!!

The Fischer Family said...

Sarah, such great ideas! I am definately ready for spring-winter is not my favorite time of year, but I will have to try some of these ideas. Especially on Tuesdays and Thursdays when Bri is at school and Jonah and I are getting bored! Thanks for sharing!

Aunt Angie said...

I had you on my heart...had to come check on you! Those are GREAT ideas! Many I used when our girls were young....and still do with the little grandsons! They especially LOVE the indoor fort. ANOTHER idea---we have a long living room, Jeff sets up a small pup tent and we let them play campout. They have a blast with that! They watch TV from in there---eat snacks...etc.

cryssi said...

Some of those ideas might actually work in my house..Thanks for posting these!

Blessings
Crystal