WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Husband Encouragement: Preparing the Table

Now that Kevin's started his new job in the civilian world, he'll be working a lot of 12-hr days. This week it's 6am-6pm (plus a 30-minute drive each way), so he's gone all day and home just in time for a late dinner. I recognize he's worked a looong day and is quite tired, and I've really been trying to make it a pleasant home he comes home to. I get dinner all ready and all the prep dishes washed, and Eli helps set the table. And to make it special, I use our nice place mats, fancy bowls, and even put dim lights on. Lighting is very important to me-- I went to a great amount of effort for our wedding reception to create enough light to not use the church's bright flourescent lights, see here, and now here in the home I'm trying to create that same warm atmosphere. So dinner's fixed and ready and the table's set. Then we go around tidying up the house. I comb the kids' hair and even touch up my makeup (if I still have time). And we wait to hear the Jeep rumble up the lane before I quickly pour our drinks, excited for Daddy to be home! It's the highlight of our day. Since dinner time is such a short time we have together as a family for these few days, I'm trying to make it more meaningful. And after tomorrow, then Kevin's gets SIX days off! Yippee!!

Here's a sneak peek at our "romantic" lighting! haha!Vanity lights above the sink! We'll be turning this old laundry room into our dining room, taking out the sink and all the works. But for now, this works!

Happy marriage!

5 comments:

Jules said...

Hon, can I just say that you are an AWESOME wife?! Seriously, what a great job! :)

And, I definitely know about the LONG hours (Charlie goes to work at 4 am and gets home about 6:30 most nights;sometimes it's as late as 8) so it's DEFINITELY hard to do! This was very encouraging for me to read today and I am off in a few minutes to run to town so I think I will throw some candles in the shopping cart!

Thanks for the email; get back to you soon!!

Love you!

Jules said...

Forgot to mention, I just read today, did you know that Kelli at Embracing the Joy is starting the Encouragement Challenge again on Feb. 1st? I am going to start with her! Just thought I would mention it! :)

bp said...

This is such an encouragement to read Sarah. You're having such a good attitude about his long days and honoring/respecting him by preparing for his arrival home. I know what you mean by saying it's such a highlight of the day for Daddy to get home.

I love the lighting at your wedding reception too! Beautiful!

Mary said...

That lighting post made me laugh! The first picture was so nice and then the 2nd had a sink in it! haha! That's awesome! You are doing a great job and I'm sure Kevin loves it! Nothing like a peaceful home with good smells in the air!!

Amy said...

Haha, I was just about to ask what the deal is with the sink in your dining room, but then you answered at the end of your post. I suppose though a sink in the dining room is convinient to have the kids wash up before and after the meal? Can't wait to see before and after picts. once you start decorating the rooms. Anyway, great job with the lighting and prep work. Something I've been working on at home with dinner time as well. Some days go better than others, but when it all comes together it certainly does create that haven atmosphere. Thanks for sharing!