WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Friday, January 15, 2010

The birth story of lil' Carter.



So based on our fast labor experience with Hannah, we knew we weren't going to dilly dally around with this next one. At the first labor pain we were going to head right into the hospital, and it's a good thing we did! Because this labor experience was very similar and nearly as short as Hannah's!

Perhaps shoveling all that snow Wednesday afternoon really was too much for me, because around bed time later that night I started feeling the early labor aches (9:30pm). I showered and laid down for a little bit but that same back ache kept coming every 8 minutes or so, just like I'd had with Eli and Hannah's labors. After about an hour and a half of it, even though it was still very mild and I could almost still lay very peacefully through them, I knew I should probably wake Kevin and start getting things together. It was about 11:15pm at this point. I called the night sitter and we had to figure out how to get her since their van was broken. I felt unsure calling her in already since labor was still so mild, but I wasn't fooling around this time! Kevin went to town and picked her up and by the time he got back nearly 40 minutes later, the pain was definitely starting to get a lot more uncomfortable. She came, we gave her a short bit of instructions, and off we went. It was about 12:30am by this point. Right after we left the house we hit a thick wall of fog. Ugh. All I wanted was to hurry up and get to the hospital now that we were in the middle of nowhere and you know, we're in the truck! I prayed that God would lift the fog, like he parted the Red Sea, and I was pretty frustrated that He didn't, but I did pray the whole way "just get us there, just get us there..." I was starting to moan through contractions now and they were coming about 3 minutes apart, so with a 30-minute drive through thick fog I was feeling uneasy about whether we'd make it in time. BUT we did! Whew!!! We checked into the hospital at 1:10am, and by the time we were settled and I was changed into my gown and all that and the nurse finally checked me I was at 8cm already, water bag still bulging. So I decided to stick it out the rest of the way with no meds. The nurse contacted my doctor to come in to the hospital right away. Contractions continued, hard and miserable, but thankfully short (maybe 30 seconds long?) and with each one I could feel that we were getting closer. The doctor broke my water and while she was doing that the next contraction started coming, and it was time to push! Midway through the doctor gave me an episiotomy, I continued pushing and out he came just a few minutes later! 1:50am, just 45 minutes after getting to the hospital. They laid Carter on me right away and did everything with him right there on my belly. I've never had that before so all the gooeyness kind of weirded me out, but wow, what an amazing experience. Sort of. I mean, I still hate the whole labor process. It hurts. So bad. But I'm so thankful it was short again. And based on Carter's weight, 7 lbs 9 oz, I'm glad he came 2 weeks early or he would've ended up being quite big! I'm just so thankful for the timing of it all! One day before Kevin's 6-day off of work, so he either won't have to take much time off at all and save his days, or he'll get a super long break at home, whichever we decide. Except the fog, the weather was clear. No blizzards! And we keep being told there's a big a snow coming the end of the month. I never did get to try all my Nettle Tea for labor (anyone want it?? I'll mail it to you!), and I never would've expected the lil' guy to come 2 weeks before the due date (Eli was 7 days after the DD, and Hannah was 3 days before DD) even though I was kind of hoping he would, but it all worked out just fine and with the beautiful blessing of Carter James!

Aside from being quite tired, I've been feeling really great! Very little pain, I haven't taken any pain pills or anything since the one immediately after delivery. I've been up and walking around and already enjoying the freedom to sleep on my belly again! =)

Carter was a super sleepy baby for his first 12 hours. I nursed him a little 1 hour after delivery but then he was not interested at all for the rest of the day! I was a little uneasy about that, because I still wasn't confident that he was really latching on well yet. But around 6pm he finally started showing interest in eating and I've been able to get him to eat well every 3 hrs-ish. Which is what I need to go do right now, so I better scoot!

But there's the brief update with much more to come soon!

You can see a lot more pictures over at the family blog!

13 comments:

Laura Langreck said...

I love it. So glad that you made it to the hospital in time and that you braved through the pain! Way to go! Sucks that you had to have an episiotomy though. :(
Now got take a nap.

Sharon said...

Beautiful! Love the story, and so glad you made it to the hospital. You are a total hero in my eyes going w/ no meds. That scares me, yet I'd like to try it. Do you think you recover faster going w/o meds?

Your new lil man is just perfect. Love the name, too.
God Bless you & your family!

Emily Clarkson said...

Yeah! What wonderful news! He's beautiful!

Jules said...

Oh honey, he is so gorgeous!! Makes me want another one! You were truly blessed with such a short labor and having had both inductions and natural labor, I much prefer the natural way! So glad you had such an easy time of it!! It's great that he is already eating so well! Make sure you get plenty of rest!

Love you!

Kathy said...

Praise God for a beautiful new life and a safe delivery!

Mindy said...

Happy Birthday Carter! he is precious!!!!

Patti said...

Sarah,
What a beautiful story! I am so glad your husband was home. You can see God's hand over the whole timing! Your little family is beautiful! Take care Mom!

Amy said...

Wow! 40 minutes later! Glad you made it on time! He is so precious! And Eli (saw the photos on facebook) looks SO big, he's looking more like a little man and less like a toddler. We are SO thrilled for you guys, we miss you all SO much. Wish we could be there to help out during this time. We've got a package to send out for you guys on Monday so make sure to look for that next week. Enjoy your little sweet Carter! Emily wants to make sure that Eli knows she saw the pictures and says he's going to be a great big brother to your two little ones, and she misses him. She definitely talks about him multiple times a week. So glad the timing all worked out for you guys. I know how important it is to have that family time before Kevin has to return to work. So glad the weather held out too! You look amazing, as usual! So glad that you were able to deliver naturally and you are healing well! Well, I guess that's it for now. Isn't it amazing being a mom of three!? It sure changes things and although the road is tough at first, it is absolutely the greatest gift and such a blessing to watch the sibling/family dynamic. We are overwhelmed with happiness for you guys, enjoy your new little life! Love, Amy & family

cryssi said...

Sarah,
He is so adorable and I am so glad that things went smoothly for yall!!! God is so good! Love all the pictures (facebook)! I will keep you in my prayers that things continue to go smoothly for you! Its nice to though that Kevin has his 6 days off....All of my babies seemed to be born when Paul had a few days off also.... Gods timing is perfect!

Blessings and Love
Crystal

cryssi said...

Sarah,
He is so adorable and I am so glad that things went smoothly for yall!!! God is so good! Love all the pictures (facebook)! I will keep you in my prayers that things continue to go smoothly for you! Its nice to though that Kevin has his 6 days off....All of my babies seemed to be born when Paul had a few days off also.... Gods timing is perfect!

Blessings and Love
Crystal

sarah marie said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you that the labor went quickly. No meds -- you are amazing! And Carter is just beautiful.

Kate said...

Oh, he's just perfect. So happy for you, sounds like things went smoothly. Try to take care of yourself. :) Kate

The Fischer Family said...

Oh Sarah! Congratulations! And happy birthday to Carter! (I love that name bytheway!!!) What a wonderful blessings, and I'm so glad you didn't have to deliver him on the bathroom floor!!!! My little guy came two weeks early and he wasn't very interested in eating right off the bat either, so I think that's normal for early ones! But he's an eater now and it sounds like Carter will be too! Congrats again, and speedy recovery to you!!!!