WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Added to my recipe book!

I tried a new recipe this week for Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup and let me tell you, it was GOOD and will definitely be added to my recipe binder! Both kids had THIRDS the night we had it and when we had it for lunch again the next day they both had seconds! That's certainly a good sign of a keeper!


Clink the link above for the recipe, but after looking at the reviews here's how I made it:

Ingredients:
4 c. chicken broth
2 c. water
2 cooked boneless chicken breast halves, shredded
1 (4.5 oz) package quick cooking long grain and wild rice w. seasoning packet (I used a box of Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice Quick Cook)

1/2 cup butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup flour
2 cup heavy cream (add in additional milk if soup is too thick)

Directions:
1. In 1 Tbl butter saute a clove of garlic and 1/2 cup each of onion, carrot, and celery (I didn't have celery so didn't add it. It was an extra anyway).
2. Add in broth, water, and chicken. Over medium heat bring just to boiling, then stir in rice, reserving seasoning packet. Cover and reduce heat.
3. In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, and flour. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in contents of seasoning packet until mixture is bubbly. Reduce heat to low, then stir in flour mixture by tablespoons, to form a roux. Whisk in cream, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth. Cook until thickened. (mine was already super super thick so I didn't really continue cooking it)
4. Stir cream mixture into broth and rice. Cook over medium heat until heated through.

* Note: It thickened a lot after sitting in the fridge so when we reheated for lunch I just added in a little milk, and it was just right again!

1 comment:

Laura Langreck said...

Sarah,
I'm making this tonight for supper with the homemade bread that is in the oven! Hopefully the bread turns out! But, this soup sounds so delicios and yummy on a cold, winter day!
Laura