WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Monday, November 8, 2010

Why I Stay Home...

A friend of mine emailed me today and said she was debating about whether to stay home full time with her daughter (who is something like 15 months old??), and she was asking me what my top reasons are for staying home with my kids.  In the midst of all these crazy, exhausting, challenging, demanding days, it was refreshing to remind myself why I DO stay home.  And when I really think about it, I remember how much I love it.  So I wanted to share here today, so you could also remember why YOU choose to stay home...

I stay home because I would be SO SAD to miss out on all the little things they do, and I enjoy  having all this precious time together! Now with Eli in preschool I feel like I really have no idea what he does for those 2.5 hours! 

I stay home because there's nothing else in the world I'd rather do. 

I stay home because it would have to be a darn good job to pay MORE than what daycare would cost AND make up for the time lost with my children. 

I stay home because we can live comfortably with just Kevin's salary alone. We can't go on big vacations or eat out every day or go shopping a lot, but we can do most day-to-day things without worrying about finances. 

I stay home because I want to spend these early years training them MY way, spending every moment teaching them about who Jesus is and how to live a life of faith. 

I stay home because there's nothing better than doing crafts, playing Legos, reading books, watching movies, and teaching your children things YOURSELF because through all of it you're building a wonderful relationship with your children. 

I stay home because it's SO nice to have relaxed lifestyle these early years instead of constantly rushing here and there. Now that Eli's in preschool it already feels like we're following a schedule quite a bit, and it's just 3 mornings a week. I know in just a few years life will be CRAZY with everyone's activities, so for now, I just want to enjoy this time home. 

I stay home because I want to give to my kids AND my husband and not feel stretched in a million other different directions! 

As HARD as it is some days, I wouldn't have it ANY other way! For now. I may go to part-time  work once the kids are in school (if we do choose to public school), but for now, this is perfect for us.  And THAT is why I stay home.

8 comments:

Carrie said...

All such good reasons, Sarah!! I couldn't agree more!! ;)

~Amanda said...

I stay home part time, and I love it. There are definitely days that I wish I could stay home full time...and, admittedly, there are days I wish I could be in the office all day (to get away from the yucky days at home). I go to work Monday through Thursday in the afternoons. It is perfect for us. I am with them in the mornings, when they are (hopefully) happy and well-rested. By the time I start to feel tired or like my patience is lessening, it's time to go to work. I am energized again as I start a different part of my day in the office, and by the time I start to get tired and my heart starts to ache for the kids then it's time to go home! I echo every reason you stated. These years go by so fast! I am so glad that I chose to change my schedule so that I could spend more time with the kiddos.

Perhaps your friend could start working part time and see how she likes it, and then she could decide if she wants to stay home full time, go back to work full time, or continue part time. I think that every person is different, and has to find the balance that works best for their family. I was miserable - seriously awful all the time - when I was working full time. I missed Aiden sooo very much. I stayed home full time for a while, and I felt like it was almost too much and we needed to have a little bit of time apart. Part time is great. Sometimes I wonder if I could continue it even when the kids are in school. Is that weird? It would probably be REALLY hard to find a part time job that would make use of the PhD I'll have completed by then, but I just love being home to keep the house clean and to cook good food and to take care of errands...sigh...

~Amanda said...

Funny. For some reason, I didn't see your last paragraph about thinking about working part time once the kids are in school. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that would be great!

Kathy said...

Amen, Amen, Amen!! =)

Kassandra said...

I think that you are so lucky to be able to stay home full time with your kiddos! There are so many days I wish I could do the same. Instead I try to be thankful that I am a teacher which means that I am home with my children by 3:30-4:00 every afternoon, I never work evenings, weekends, or holidays, and I have 2 1/2 months off every summer to stay home with them full-time. I know that this makes me so much luckier than so many other working parents!

Be Strong in the Lord said...

Amen. You just listed all the reasons that my husband and I have for praying that when we have kids I can stay home.

bp said...

you have wonderful reasons! It's a good exercise to remind ourselves of why we do what we do!

hope you have a great week!

Christy Newton said...

I never really stop to think about the reasons I'm at home- I love your list :)