WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The night before. Caught up in details.

Really how many kids bring a sack lunch and how many regularly get hot lunch? Will he get his little Ziplock containers open? I know we practiced at home, but will they let free suddenly spilling all the contents right in front of all the other kids? How much of a pain is it to wait in the entire lunch line just to get milk, or should he just not buy milk and take a juice box instead? When he gets a morning milk does it just come out of his lunch account or does he have to bring separate change every day? Does he even know HOW to open a little milk carton or is someone there to help ALL the kids? Where do I go to pay lunch money for when we DO hot lunch? When I pick him up after school will he walk straight out of the building or do I go in? Will I get I.D.ed or do they know I'm his mom? When he rides the bus will he sit right in front or be somewhere in the back near the "big kids"? Ooo, don't forget SOCKS to go with his P.E. shoes! Will he leave his glasses on for P.E. even though the eye Dr said he COULD take them off then? Should I include his glasses case in his backpack or leave it at home? Are my emergency contacts really going to be able to get to him within 60 minutes, or should I choose someone else? But I can't think of anyone else! What does PTS stand for anyway? How much can I volunteer for in-school things when I still have two little ones to care for at home? Ugh, I just do NOT know what to put a check-mark next to and say I'll help do during the school year! Is it even okay to send cookies with Eli? Don't they not allow home-baked goods anymore, or that must just apply when sharing with the whole class? Did Eli actually have all his required shots--I know that shot record book is a little bit of scribbled jibberish??  Will I make friends with any of the parents? They all looked kind of weird. What's the name of the principal again? Which lady was she? Was that other lady I saw earlier tonight an actual classroom helper or who in the world was she? She sure looked a LOT like someone I knew from back home. Must learn names, must learn names. Is it bad that I'm using a Similac ice pack in Eli's lunch box? When kids learn how to read, will they know what that is and make fun of him? Or maybe if it just stays in his lunch bag no one will notice anyway?  When it's rainy, do we drive to the end of the lane to wait for the bus? Or do we just walk and wait in the barn? Do I bring all the kids then or leave Hannah and Carter inside? Or do we all always wait for the bus with Eli? Ah shoot, I forgot to have Eli practice writing his last name over the summer. Pretty sure he doesn't even know how to spell it! I never took Eli "school clothes shopping", am I missing something or can't he just wear the clothes he's been wearing? How much is this Monday thru Friday routine going to conflict with Kevin's NOT Monday thru Friday work schedule? Will we still get to go DO things as a family? Will Eli miss out on a lot of daddy time when Kevin's off and Eli has school? ...................................
.......................................................................................................................................

10 comments:

S Club Mama said...

Tristan hardly knows our last name. We didn't go school clothes shopping (I wanted to) but will have to before winter (grew too much). You'll make friends with parents. Don't worry about volunteering; you have your plate full and no one is judging! What does PTS stand for? Is that a parent organization (PTA)? And I wonder about how Tristan will open his milk/Ziplocs/etc, too. Someone will surely help him if he needs it. :) Scary stuff mom. :) love you

Amy said...

Ack! I'm already dreading the night before! I'm SO right there with you. Hope today goes great, can't wait to see pictures!

Sharon said...

Bless your heart.
I firmly believe we, as parents, feel these growing pains so much more than our kids do. When Aidan started school full time, I was a nervous wreck the 2 weeks leading up to it. It's a hard thing, letting them go.
I'm sure you've prepared him very well.
I hope he has a wonderful 1st day!

Simple Life said...

Praying for you today!

Ashleigh said...

Sarah- Breathe. So normal to be having all of these questions. Eli is a great kid and he will be fine, as will you. Hopefully some of these questions have been answered for you.

ps - please feel free to use me as an emergency contact, I know right where the school is and could definitely get there within 60 minutes!

The Fischer Family said...

Oh man! I remember this last year! I was the nervous mom sending my daughter off to all day Kindergarten. I quickly learned that letting her eat a hot lunch every day was easier than packing, and at $2 (with milk included) we thought it was a great deal. This year at her new school it's $1.75, and they serve things like kale chips!!! Yes, really!! I was thrilled!!!

I have had some of these feelings this year too since we are starting a new school, but I know Brianna will be OK and so will Eli. He is going to grow so much this year! And so are you! Enjoy the ride because it really is wonderful!!!

Be Strong in the Lord said...

This post made me cry! I hope Eli had a great first day. He is going to learn so much, and there will be someone there to help him. I was a third grade teacher for two years and the Kindergarten teachers I knew were very special people indeed. I pray you and Eli have a wonderful teacher and a blessed year.

jaesi said...

girl- you are cu-razy!

relax. he will love it. you will too.

In Light of the Truth... said...

I know, I know. Yay for Type A personality.

bp said...

These are great questions and really show how a Mom feels the night before the first day of kindergarten.

I remember how I felt the day before and the first day of Caleb going to K. Then last year it was SO different, like it was so much easier really. We have 2nd grade at the same campus and then 3rd grade goes to a new campus so I'm thinking I'll have all those questions again.

Have a great day!