WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Haircuts

Today I decided to give Eli a haircut. Right after lunch while he was already in his chair. No biggy. I've given him several haircuts by now. And as soon as I told him that's what we were doing, he immediately asked for a snack. Haha. He knows the drill by now. Except that this time I put the trash bag on him. He didn't like it at first but when I took it off and told him then he had to take off his shirt, he chose the bag instead.

before

after
(I only trimmed the sides this time and left the top, well except for a few snips, since Kevin likes Eli to have a comb-over) He may need a little more work on the top, but I'll give it a day or so to see how it looks.Haircuts don't seem like a big deal to me, but I know it's hard to brave if you're a first-timer. So I thought I'd share our routine, in case it's enough to help.

Tools:
scissors
comb
a cup of water

I get Eli's hair damp by dipping the comb in water and then running it through his hair. Then I cut away, starting with this sides. Using the comb gather the hair in a vertical bunch and cut off however much you want. Keep working your way around the side. Carefully trim around the ears. And snip a little off the back. Then to the top. Switch the direction of your scissors now so your cut runs from front to back. Honestly I'm not very good at doing the top. I can do it if I want it all short. But I don't know how to cut if I still want it to comb over like Kevin likes.

the red lines show the direction of your cuts
As for getting Eli to sit still. He's actually very good now, we've been doing this for long enough. I usually just give him a snack and sometimes I'll sit him so he can watch a show while I cut. But today was just at the table with a snack since he'd just finished lunch well.

He does better with me than he ever would with someone else. AND it saves us money! And even though it's still no professional job and he'll probably never have any type of style (cuz I don't know how), it works for us enough to keep doing it.

If you cut your children's hair, what are your tips and tricks??

3 comments:

Bethany said...

I use the clippers! I buzz it shorter in the summer and in the winter I use a shorter one on the back and a longer one on top. Super fast and they don't mind it once they get used to the noise. I use Jebs little beard trimmer for around the ears and it is amazing!

Mary said...

Oh this was a great post! I have taken Lance to 4 or 5 different places now and just settled on the cheap Walmart, but the last cut was too short. She used the clippers and bcs Lance moved so much she had to take more and more off because it was uneven. I like the comb over look too but now his bangs are so short they just hang straight down. I might just brave it and do it myself next time. Worse case we just have to buzz it. I just like a little length to soften the look and keep him looking younger.
Great post!!! Thx!!! I'll try your technique!

The Cutes and Scoots Show said...

We, too, do at home haircuts. Cman gets the buzzer and a few snips with the scissors and wallah toddler haircut done occupied with his own stuff in his own house. Seems much easier than fighting with a hairdresser and sitting in the chair. Scott even does his own, I help a little in the back, but for the most part it looks just as good as the salon and saves a bundle.
Just another way to be frugal.