WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Recipe time!

Alrighty, it always takes me awhile to get recipes up, so today I'm getting caught up! Some of my new favorites...

YUMMY Chocolate Cake
My mom made this sometime back in November or so, and when it came my birthday I knew that it was the cake I wanted to make. We did our best to remember how it was made and came up with this:

Devil chocolate cake mix, prepared and cooked according to the box directions
Oreos (about 1.5 sleeves maybe?), crushed
8 oz package cream cheese, softened
tub of whipped cream
container of chocolate frosting

1. Bake cake in two round pans. When cool, slice each half so you have a total of four thin layers.
2. Stir together crushed Oreos and cream cheese (like making oreo balls), fold in whipped cream.
3. Use your Oreo fluff to "frost" in between the layers but not on the top of the cake.
4. On the top of the cake spread a thin layer of chocolate frosting and then on top of that spread more Oreo fluff.
5. Now cover around the sides with Oreo fluff. (I suppose I could have put a layer of chocolate frosting under here too. Hmm)
6. Now use your finger to clean around the plate and eat it!
7. Store in fridge.

For my birthday I didn't even bother making it look pretty. I just wanted to eat it, and ohhh, it's sooo good!

*******************************

Homemade Granola
I bookmarked this at the Biblical Womanhood website but when I went to open it the other day, there was something goofy with their site. Kevin worked his magic and got if for me, but in case you can't open it, here's the recipe. I made it to top over baked apples as dessert, but it turns out it's really yummy as plain cereal too. Now I can start experimenting with add-ins, like slivered almonds or craisins. But I was seeking a simple recipe that didn't include wheat germ and other nuts, and this is a good one!

Mix 1/2 cup each of brown sugar, oil, and honey in saucepan.

Bring to low boil.

Add 1 tsp. cinnamon and 2 tsp. vanilla.

Pour over 7 cups of oats in a large pan.

Stir until coated.

Bake at 375 for 10 minutes.

Take out and stir. Put back in oven, turn off, and go to bed. [that's what their directions said! haha]

*******************

Curried Rice Pilaf
I tried this recipe for Easter and it is also a new favorite. It's very mild and just a yummy side dish. Kevin doesn't like raisins so I left them out, but since I already had almond pieces I put 'em in, and that was a nice add, especially considering I'm not usually a fan of nuts. Oh, and I'm not really sure how to toast them as the recipe called for, but I just sauted them in butter for a couple minutes and called it good. You can get the recipe HERE.

2 comments:

Emily Anne Carson said...

Looks like a great bunch of recipes!

cryssi said...

Thanks! I have been looking for an easy Granola recipe. This one sounda wonderful!

Blessings
Crystal