WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Zucchini Everything!

We had a pleasant surprise in our garden the other day--we have zucchini! We planted them so late (end of July!) that we didn't really expect to get anything but just gave it a shot anyway. I didn't even know they had started to grow let alone turned into ginormous ones! So now that we all of a sudden we have lots of zucchini to use, I've been pretty creative about what we can make!

So far this week we've had these Zucchini Grinders (turned out good!) and last night I made lasagna using zucchini, and it also turned out really good and was our lunch for today! I just followed a regular lasagna recipe but used less meat and added in sliced n diced zucchini with it and since I was halving the recipe I could use extra sauce than originally called for and extra mozzarella cheese on top of the cheese layers. Now this weekend I'll be making these zucchini brownies (I'll let you know how they turn out) and maybe tomorrow I'll bake some good ol' zucchini bread. And though it's not in the menu for us this week, I do love Mediterranean pasta: simmer a can (or 2) of Italian seasoned diced tomatoes, diced zucchini, and sliced olives until the zucchini is tender. serve over noodles of your choice. The original recipe I got this from also used garbanzo beans, but since I don't care for them I leave them out, but for those of you who like them, they'd add protein to the meal!


Hannah's is the store-bought zucchini I'd just got before I knew we had our own in the garden. And Eli's zucchini is from our garden. BIG!
So there you have it, everything zucchini! What are your favorite zucchini recipes??

7 comments:

Emily Anne Carson said...

Oh my goodness! No recipes to share. Sorry! But thanks for your creative ideas. Members of the congregation are giving me garden veggies right and left. :)

bp said...

That's huge! I remember my Mom made zucchini bread.

Unknown said...

http://weight-watchers-points-recipes.blogspot.com/2009/05/shrimp-and-zucchini-with-bowties-in.html This is one of my favorite zucchini recipes! My husband loves it but we don't get it very often. The shrimp gets pricy. My mother in law made a zucchini chocolate cake one that was wonderful! Sorry I don't have the recipe!

Servant Becca said...

I love the pictures of the kids! I never imagined that zucchini would / could be a toy -- look at them having fun!

Anonymous said...

I love zucchini bread!!! Sometimes mine does not turn out so moist though!!! Lisa T.

sarah marie said...

What cute pictures of your kids! Hannah is getting so big. I've made zucchini brownies before and really liked them... even my veggie-hating husband ate some. :)

Amber said...

Can't wait to see your beautiful family... hopefully soon! Judging by those pictures, I think Eli loves zucchini almost as much as I do! I love it grilled, then sliced and put on a tortilla pizza with a yummy pesto mayo combo as the sauce. Mmm... Hope that all is well with the Groths! Love, love.