WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Answer me this!

Okay, so I have some random questions I'd love you to answer for me, and instead of continuing to add them to the end of my already-long Meanderings, I thought I'd start a new series. Nothing regular, but just whenever I have a question. Sometimes it's about parenting, like last week. Sometimes it's about homekeeping, like this week. And sometimes it's just completely random, like what's so special about dairy cows, if all cows make milk? I told you, random.

So here we go, this week's question:

Do you clean the inside side of your shower curtain? Do you spray it with cleaner or wipe it down? And if so, how often?

I was just looking at ours the other day, thinking it could use a clean. I usually do nothing to it, we just occasionally buy a new one when it's reeeeaally bad. So here I'm wondering what you do?

9 comments:

Sabrina said...

We have a fabric liner for our shower. It's supposed to be antimicrobial or something like that. When it starts to get dirty and gross I just toss it in the wash with our towels. Good as new. It's a little more expensive than the plastic ones, but worth the extra cost because it can be washed.

Kathy said...

well I'm definitely of the lazy sort -- I just toss it out and buy a new one when it gets too grungy. But, I recently heard that you can actually launder your shower curtain, even those plastic ones! Just don't put it in the dryer! =) Haven't tried it yet ... but it's worth a try!
Kathy

Kassandra Kurth said...

We put our shower curtain in the washing machine with color safe bleach - even the plastic ones. It gets all the icky stuff off the bottom. To dry it, we just hang it back up in the shower and let it air dry! Hope that helps! :D

bp said...

I would never have thought about putting it in the wash, interesting!

I just throw it away too and get a new one.

In a book I read it talked about all those sprays and such for showers/shower doors/etc. and something about how when you shower and get it hot/steamy then the chemicals can react with that and be not good for you. I don't know which cleaners but I do remember reading that. I didn't spray them before but didn't want to for sure after reading that.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Kassandra. The cheap plastic shower curtains can be washed on the gentle cycle in the washing machine with a bit of bleach. Just hang in the shower when cycle is done.

The Cutes and Scoots Show said...

I can't say I've actually ever washed my shower curtain either way... by hand or in the laundry. We have bought the "heavy duty" ones (at Walmart) and find those don't mildew for a loooooooooooong time. I just make sure that the curtain is pulled so that it is closed (aka at full length) after each use and the grime doesn't seem to build up.

NOW, how about those shower Doors? We have those too and I have to admit I probably should be washing them, but do not do it regularly. Talk about soap scum build up! :) Any ideas on what works best there without a lot of elbow grease?

Jules said...

We buy the heavy duty ones at Wal-Mart and I keep a spray bottle in the bathroom filled with half white vinegar/half water & about 4 drops of lemon essential oil. Every time we shower, I spray the shower and the curtain down (just a really quick spray). I've found that it makes our already long-lasting, heavy-duty shower curtain last even longer!! Hope that helps!

In Light of the Truth... said...

Thanks, you guys! I threw it in the wash along with a couple pairs of little people shoes and it came out great. I think it's one of those mildew-free ones from Walmart and wasn't too bad but just looking a little grungy. We only have the clear liner hanging right now, as I haven't decided how to decorate the bathroom to buy an actual curtain for over it. So just being clear with nothing behind it really exposes the grime that gets on it. I'm glad to have a way to clean it now, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Most of the time I keep a spray bottle of clorox and water (strong amount of clorox) and spray down the shower curtain. But sometimes I actually take the whole thing down and immerse it in the bathtub with a shallow solution of Clorox and water. Just make sure none of it touches colored cloth anywhere. (hard lesson learned)
Eunice