WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Husband Encouragement: More to the load

This week Hubby started night shift 6pm-6am for four days, and as always it shakes things up a bit, but we're learning to roll with it and take it as it comes. The new job as a whole means full days, meaning not too much daytime at home--except of course the 6 DAYS he just had off! woohoo! But when you have an old house like ours, even in good condition, there seems to be an endless list of pretty urgent things to get taken care of (toilet doesn't stop running, shower leaking, and heating problems) and the time Kevin does have just goes way too fast! It's hard to work efficiently with two small ones around or during a 2-hour nap time. See photo for example:And still Kevin does need some down time, despite what needs done. Sooo, leading to the point of this post, I've decided this week that I'm going to do my best to tackle some of these projects myself! Kevin gets me started and shows me how to do it, and then I take over and he heads off to work! And let me just say, I am so proud of myself for doing today's project: putting new knobs on our hutch. (we're repurposing the old ones, stay tuned!) The problem: the screws that held them in had no (and here I go with VERY UN-technical terms) slots on the head for a screwdriver. It's just smooth. But it's a long screw and sticks all the way through the wood quite a bit. So Kevin taught me how to "double nut" it--put two nuts together so tight that they themselves turn the screw just enough so I could grab the head of the screw and manually turn it with a wrench or pair of pliers. And it worked! By golly it took me a thousand times longer and a lot more tries to get it right, but I did it! I got them all done, except two knobs where the screws were painted, blocking the threads to take it out. Ummm... I'll leave that one for Kevin. BUT the important thing is I'm trying! BECAUSE I love him, and I'm trying to help him out! Is there more you can do for your husband so he doesn't have so much to do after he gets home from a long day of WORK??

The second thing I'm going to try to do these next four days is to make sure the house is tidied at the end of the day and that I'm UP in the morning to greet him when he rolls in around 6:30am. I've been trying to get up then anyway, so this is very good motivation!

I guess a third thing is that I'll be trying to get the kids out of the house more so it's quiet for Kevin to sleep. Take them outside since it's going to be nice for a couple days, go to the library, or run errands.

How can YOU bless your husband today?


Disclaimer: I'm no perfect wife. In fact, there are times when I'm downright awful. BUT my hope is that good efforts like these, with the grace of God, help cancel out the bad ones allowing us to have a fulfilling marriage. They don't just happen, ya know. Ya gotta work for it!

5 comments:

bp said...

Thanks for this idea and motivation to look for ways to specifically bless my husband. I need to do this!

One thing I like to do when we are in town is run by his office and take him a sweet tea. It is something so simple (especially when I'm already at Walgreens anyway so I'm near Bush's chicken to get the tea!) and now they cost lilke 50cents for a large one. It always surprises him when I do that.

Holly said...

This is great motivation, Sarah!! You spur women on in finding creative and innovative ways to bless their men, and I'm grateful for that! I hope to be as thoughful and servant-like as I think on how I can be a blessing and encouragement to Paul! Thank you so much!

Kathy said...

Sounds great ... you are a great inspiration to me to find ways to bless your hubby. =) I love reading your blog. Thanks for sharing. =) Kathy

Anonymous said...

Miss you too!!! I will be back!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement. We get so tired as Moms--it's hard work! But our husbands are working hard while they are away and then at home, too. I have to guard myself against asking him to do things I am capable of when he has his plate full of things only he can do. Like changing lightbulbs in high light fixtures since he can just reach it at 6'3" and I'm 5'2". My legs aren't broken!

My guy loves it when put special treats and notes in his lunchbox. He's kept all the notes since we've been married so I know they are meaningful to him.

We can do so much when we are determined for our families--it NEEDS to happen, so it WILL. I felt so empowered when I first started tightening pot handles and cupboard fixtures. It was so foreign to me. Funny, funny now.

Cindy

P.S. I'm making him your truffles for V-day and sending to work. He'll love them.