WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Friday, February 20, 2009

A new #10.

On my 101 goals list, that is. Learn how to prepare an over-easy egg. That's Kevin's favorite choice of egg, and all I know how to do is scrambled, which by the I have mastered (just ask if you want to know my technique), or hard-boiled but that one hardly counts. So usually Kevin has to prepare his own egg, and I always feel bad about that, but every time I try to cook it I mess it up and break the yolk. So I am officially declaring this as a goal for the next 523 days 15 hours and 16 minutes. Any tips?

Added: I guess the hard part for me is the flip. I don't understand what you flip. Okay, so you don't totally smack flip it over (how do ya like those terms? haha) like a pancake. So you roll it? How far? Do you fold it over like an omlette? (how do you spell that word?) Or do you roll it all the way over so the yolk is touching the pan? And then how long does it sit til it's done??

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Don't get your pan too hot... and it's easier to crack the egg in a small bowl or measuring cup and then gently pour it into the pan. Less chance of breaking the yolk then. And don't try to flip it too early. Good Luck!!! I hope everyone in the house likes eggs... because I'm sure you will be practicing alot. :)

paul said...

I think the biggest thing about doing an egg over-easy is to let the first side cook until it can hold itself together for you to get the spatula under it and do the flip. The white will probably be cooked almost all the way through. Usually my flip turns out to be more like rolling the egg over. If you lift and drop it back down on the other side, you'll probably break the yolk.

Sharon said...

That is so sweet, Sarah.
When we were engaged I remember asking my mother-in-law what some of my dh's favorite meals were. I wanted to know so I could make them for him! While he cooks, too (and does well;), I am the main cook. Meatloaf is one of his favorites.

Sorry I have no tips on the egg cooking! I am not the breakfast cook around here.

Anonymous said...

Use enough cooking spray that the egg won't stick to the pan. Then, like Paul said, let the egg cook until it holds itself together. Then when you turn it, make sure the spatula goes under the yolk. Lift it out of the pan a little, then flip it over. Try not to be in too big of a hurry, just let it go slow. Another way to do it, if you're uneasy about flipping it is to let it cook until the whites are pretty much done, then add a little bit of water to your pan and put a lid on it. Let it cook until there is no slimy part in the whites, but the yolk is still runny.

BellaMama said...

i agree with sharon. the other thing you can do it tilt the pan to meet the egg during the flip.
i've only made one perfect over-easy egg in all our marriage!! i've heard that the more you practice the better you'll get it and you're own technique!
i had to have my mom show me how to flip an omelette just recently...i got it after several times of trying (and burning)!
keep up helping your hubby-i know it made a big difference when i made mine b'fast before he left as well as making his lunch (when work didn't supply it-or it wasn't "wholesome").

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah,
I confess: I totally cheat on this one. It's my grandma's technique. You cook the egg pretty slowly on only one side. When it gets close to done (egg whites are through), I sprinkle a teaspoon or two of water in the pan and quickly close the lid. The water creates steam, which cooks over the top. Ta-da! No flipping at all. :)
Kasandra from old band days

PS--I enjoy keeping up via your blog--hope you don't mind, but your kids are just SOOOO darn cute & I don't have any yet!

The Cutes and Scoots Show said...

I'm with you, the only egg type dish I have totally mastered is scrambled with cheese of course - my trick is to use a spatula like you would use for scraping batter from the bottom of a cake mix bowl instead of using a flipper/flapper like for pancakes. Then you can cut into the edges of the pan because the spatula is flexible and no part of the scrambled ever gets burned.... what's your secret trick?