WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Recipe: Strawberry Whip Cake

As promised, here is the recipe that I used for my delicious birthday cake yesterday. It's a very light cake as it has a whipped cream frosting instead of your usual too-sweet frosting most cakes have. For those of you going healthy, there's no sugar added besides what's already in the cake mix, so that's a plus. Oh, and a disclaimer: I can't promise it will the prettiest cake you could make. At least for me anyway, it was quite hard to spread sliced strawberries, especially on the sides of cake. And as I was spreading, I sort of ran out of the "frosting" and had to just fill in spots with regular whipped cream. But this really is a fantastic cake, one that you could definitely enjoy for breakfast! So here you go, and let me know if you try it!


Strawberry Whip Cake


1 pkg white cake mix
2 10-oz cans frozen sliced strawberries
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 Tbl lemon juice
1 cup whipping cream, whipped

1. Make cake according to package directions, baking in two 8-inch layers. Cool; split layers in half to make 4 layers. [I use floss to cut through cake and it seems to work pretty well.]
2. Meanwhile, defrost strawberries according to directions on container; drain, reserving syrup. Cover strawberries and refrigerate.
3. Soften gelatin in strawberry syrup; heat to full boil; remove from heat. Cool. Add strawberries and lemon juice and chill until mixture is slightly thickened.
4. Fold whipped cream into gelatin mixture. Spread strawberry mixture between layers and frost sides and top of cake. Chill thoroughly before slicing.

Enjoy!!

No comments: