WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Project #2: toy storage

This was the toy box. Always overflowing, so many different bins and bags for things like blocks, Legos, Easter eggs, etc, and just overall really messy!


BEFORE
AFTER.
After I saw my friend Angie with this same shelf unit for their toys, I've been keeping my eye on it at Target, and finally with some birthday I was able get it put together! And I LOVE it! Check it out! I wasn't sure if everything would fit, but I decided that I was going to limit toys to what did fit and the rest will get rotated around every once in awhile. Turns out, most everything did fit and finally FINALLY I put away the plastic Easter eggs from 2008!click to view larger and see what's in the bins!
And in case you're curious, here is the rest of the play room. Still really bare right now, but I've sketched my design idea, and I'm pretty excited about it! I guess what I'm waiting on, besides money of course, it to decide what to do about curtains. The east wall is a double-wide window--if I sew the curtains myself I would need four panels of fabric instead of two, plus two panels for the north window, and unless I score a REALLY good deal with a fabric that I like, then it's going to cost quite a bit. I've spotted some fabric at Hobby Lobby that I really like but I'm not sure how to work it with the window size. And I'm not going to paint until we have our curtain fabric, because of course we want it to match! Sooo... any ideas? Know of any place to get nice curtains? I've always made ours, so I don't really know where has good variety for decent price.

8 comments:

alisha said...

LOVE the new toy shelf! My dad made us a toybox that has shelves for those block size baskets (or whatever you call them) and I LOVE having them--perfect size for different toys! Way too go, looks great!

Jennifer said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the shelving unit for the toys. We'll be moving at the end of summer, and we'll have a lot more space in our new place. (Here there are just toys EVERYWHERE! Orderly but stuffed to the gills!) I would love to have this type of shelf/basket unit. I'm going to have to keep my eye out at our Target for it to go on sale.

I've found some interesting curtain deals at our local Gabriel Brothers store. I don't know if they're national or just regional though. You seem to have some large windows to deal with, so that may be the most expensive part of your decorating in this room! Are the curtains that are in there solid white/ivory? If so, could you do some type of applique accents on what you have? Or are they the wrong type of curtain to do that with?

Rae Lynne said...

Looks great! You've really gotten some good projects done. I love that idea for toys. :) Once we get more, that may be a way we choose to go.

BTW - I love that you framed the flower project you did with Eli. It looks great and I'm sure he's proud to see his work displayed!

Mary said...

I love those shelves. I currently have them on top of a low bookshelf in my room for my scrapbooking supplies. Sadly they didn't work in Lance's room because he likes to dumb bins out and it created too much work for me to clean up. A big toy box that he can't dump is best in our home. But I still have bins for cars, trains, people, etc that are up high and he only gets one at a time.
The room is great! What a difference! I'd label the bins too so other people can help you clean up. Not only for your husband but for friends that come over and want to help tidy before they leave. I can't wait to see your next project. How I love organization!

BellaMama said...

Love the organization!! I think you should make your own curtains-you do a great job and it costs less and you can get such cute prints and designs! There are tons of online fabric stores that are super inexpensive.

I must know, where do the two doors go! I love these old houses. Is one a closet?

Can't wait to see what you do to the room!

Blessings!

In Light of the Truth... said...

The left door is a closet (with a small window that actually looks into the W.C.--the bathroom is the size of that small wall in between the two doors, it's just a toilet) And the right door goes out into the rest of the house (the steps to 2nd floor are right outside that door)

In Light of the Truth... said...

I dunno, the fabric is going to cost me almost $80 to buy! It's 13.5 yds total which I'm not sure I'll be able to find in the first place! I'm STILL trying to find more of the fabric I used for Hannah's curtains so I can finish her room!

Kelly said...

I LOVE the cube storage. We found one at Lowe's the other day, but it was only in maple. So we ordered one online (Lowe's) that is white. I can't wait to get it. It should be here any day now!!