WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A wake-up call.

I just finished reading this blog post, and wow. Definitely something I needed to hear!

These parts really struck me:
"'Me-time' is a myth... If you are feeling like you need 'me-time', it's probably because you need 'me-and-God-time'. Do an in-depth study of what the WORD says about children and if you can’t figure it out, ask God how they are being blessings right now... A Word of Warning about having someone else watch your children while you “take a much-needed break”: It is habit-forming. If that is the first answer you turn to, then God cannot work in you to overcome the feelings you have and renew your mind. He wants you to enjoy your children and have patience with them and love them as he loves you."

There's a whole lot more truth Jacque shares in her post, so if you are EVER a tired mom, go read and be blessed!

6 comments:

Angie said...

Hey Sarah! Your post reminded me of a post Katie had done a while back that has been helpful to me when rooting out selfishness/laziness in my life. She may have been reading the same blog you were, I don't know. It's good stuff!
http://trustinggodathome.blogspot.com/2009/01/me-time.html

Sharon said...

That is so incredibly convicting and awesome.

I always cringe a little when I hear women say they need their "me-time", even though I have said it myself once or twice. Me-time? Isn't that what we have when they go to bed?
I don't know. I know down time and breaks are good and needed, but family time is so precious.

paul said...

Good thoughts about stepping up to responsibility, embracing them as blessings, and avoiding "pity-party" thoughts! I wonder if some of the weight of parenting, especially for full-time moms, comes from a lack of connection to extended family and community. I remember a teacher at church in Ames pointing out that the "nuclear family" (dad, mom, and kids) wasn't the Biblical model but that the "household" was an extended family unit, often including hired help, operating more like a small business than just a house. The days wouldn't have been passed with one woman trying to watch her kids but a woman getting together with her aunts and cousins and other women in the community to both raise children and manage the household economy.

I don't know how true that picture of traditional family is, but I think the emphasis on family and community connections does resonate. I wonder what that might look like in contemporary society....

In addition to what that post said, I would add that it is essential to change how we see the situation by rooting ourselves in the gospel rather than do-more-try-harder. If our shortcomings (in whatever area, not just parenting) make us feel guilty rather than driving us back to Jesus, then we need to repent and renew our faith in Christ that he is sufficient to forgive us of our sins, whatsoever they may be, and we depend on him for everything we need to live out the life that he calls us to. If we think that somehow we can do it by do-more-try-harder, then insofar as we are leaning on ourselves instead of leaning on Christ, we need to repent and believe the gospel. Focusing on myself as if I had the power in myself to be the person/parent wants me to be is as much a sin as focusing on myself and my "me-time".

Anyway, enough ramblings.... Have a great day!

cryssi said...

Something I am going to read in the morning during computer time. Sounds really interesting....

Blessings
Crystal

Jules said...

Hey girl,

Thanks for this!! I have REALLY been struggling lately. I can always count on you to help me refocus!! :)

Love you!

Jacque Dixon said...

I got the link from this post to my dashboard, and I want to praise the Lord that he can use this, my own struggles, shortcomings and learning to encourage you and other moms.

Be blessed!
~J