WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A proud mama!

ELI WENT POOP ON THE POTTY FOR THE FIRST TIME TODAY!! I am so excited, I just had to share!! Eli really hasn't been taking any interest in potty training so we haven't been working on it lately, but every time we change a poopy diaper we tell him that someday he's (and Hannah too) going to learn to go in the potty, that's where poop and pee belong, etc. He knows this. Yet he won't do it, and I've been getting pretty frustrated as he continues to get closer to 3 years old! When he needs to go poopy he usually runs off somewhere and if we even look at him, he says "privacy please" and shoos us away. Well, yesterday when he'd run off to go poop, I'd stop him and say "Let's go sit on the potty!" He'd resist and fuss so I'd say "where does poop belong?" to which he'd answer "in the potty" and I'd respond "so let's go to the potty then!" When we got there, he'd still be fussing so I'd say "do you want to sit on the big potty or your little potty" (knowing then he'd pick his little potty and sit) I'd get him sitting down and leave him in our tiny little bathroom so he could have his privacy. I tried to distract him from his fit by putting one of his favorite songs on, and he sat while Hannah threw a fit because she wanted to be a part of it too. Yesterday we did this twice and he'd sit for awhile and then finally ask to be done, and never went potty. And he didn't go in his diaper following either. So again this morning when he ran off to go poop, I stopped him and we did the whole cherade again. This time not as much fussing from either child, yay! I played his music and checked on him a couple times, and he actually sat long enough to go potty!! YAY!! I didn't really have any treats on hand so I just gave him a little bit of cereal, he got a sticker on his chart, and all day we've been talking about how exciting it was and how it wasn't so scary after all! What a big boy, I'm so proud of him!!

6 comments:

bp said...

Way to go Eli!

That's exciting and you should be proud, Momma!!

BellaMama said...

YEA!! Encourage even if it doesn't continue...reminding him what he did and you know he can do it again, maybe later or tomorrow!!
If it happens to get tough again, stickers for just sitting on the potty to try will work and then bigger stickers or bigger treat or something when he does go!

So happy for you!! Praying it does continue!!

Sharon said...

CONGRATS!!! What a milestone!! I am happy for you all. :)

I think you should celebrate w/ some ice cream.

alisha said...

Hooray! what a good step in the right direction!

3 is my goal too...We'll see if it happens!

keep up the good work!

cryssi said...

YAY for ELi! We have been working on Jason also. He does pretty good on most days He hasnt went poop in the potty yet but he has done pretty good otherwise. WE went on an all day trip for my birthday and i really thought he was going to have problems...well I put a pull up on him anyway, just in case, but all day, he went pee in the potty and he gets an m&m everytime he goes...part of the trip was in the mall and I had forgotten his M&m's in the car...so we had to go to Candy Craze to get more..lol.. Its amazing what we will try to get them potty trained. I say if Hannah wants to start sitting on the potty, let her, I didnt let Alaina, when she wanted to when Kylie was training, I thought she was too young but then she took forever to get to go again. You never know, they may both be trained before too long!

Blessins
Crystal
Sorry so long!

Jules said...

YAY for Eli!! Wow, that is AWESOME!! Lily is trying lately,too and has went a few times but then she wants to be a baby (I think, because of Drew) which is completely fine and of course, we are just SO excited that she is trying to go!!

I can't believe that Eli & Lily are getting that big!! They grow up so fast!

*Like my sister said, we used M & M's as a potty reward and it worked like a charm with Claire!!

LOVE YOU!!