WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Husband Encouragement Challenge: DAY 19

Last night I was working on transferring book notes into a new notebook and thought I'd share a couple tidbits here with you today...
In A Wife After God's Own Heart the author Elizabeth George creates an acronym for displaying the 4 main roles of a wife to help, submit, respect, and love:

Warm up his life with your love.
Improve his life as a helper.
Follow his leadership with a willing heart.
Esteem him highly with utmost respect.

There's also a whole chapter in the book about learning to communicate and the author has this section:

Communicate God's way by...
  • learning to pray at the first hint of frustration or self-pity
  • learning to say nothing when your emotions approach a danger point
  • learning to wait for the right time to communicate
  • learning to make a list of things you felt or needed to talk through
  • learning to make an appointment to talk about pressing matters
  • learning to write it out so you can be careful with your words
  • learning to "take the blame". Use phrases like "I'm having a problem understand this... or seeing how this can work...or accepting this change" "Can you help me out... or help me with my thinking"
* Take time to prepare your heart and your words. Pray about timing, tone, and topics.

I just loved this book and definitely think it's worth the read! You can check out my full book notes here.

And now for today's challenge...

June 19--DAY 19

Read this description of a wife's description of her beloved—Song of Solomon 5:10-16

Criticism leaves scars; but encouragement can bring healing. Remember that today as you focus on your "30-Day Encouragement Challenge." Almost nothing is as devastating to a man as the belief that his wife finds him repulsive. Sadly, many women unwisely criticize their husbands' bodies.

Have you ever considered how wonderfully God designed men and women? No matter how a man looks—by the standards of the world - a loving God designed them all, and they are all "beautiful" in His sight. Encourage your husband today by praising his uniqueness.

As you look over your husband's body, from the tip of his toes to his bald or bushy head, thank God that your husband is "wonderfully made," then admire your husband verbally. (Strong arms? Hairy chest? Firm hands? Big feet? Rugged chin? Wide shoulders? Compassionate eyes? Broad smile?)

This week's goals:
* If there are chores that I want Kevin to do around the house, I will kindly ask him instead of hoping he'll notice and do it on his own. (I had a bit of tamper tantrum this weekend when boxes needed to go out to recycling)
* Choose at least one thing daily to compliment Kevin on and voice it TO him. Throughout this challenge so far, I've been good about building him up to others but not so much directly TO him (besides thank yous), so I'm going to work on that.
* Maintain a cheerful attitude about the work I do at home for my family. And speak only with a loving and respectful tone of voice.

God of renewal, everywhere your Holy Spirit breathes new life into creation. As I undertake this day to bring glory to you by honoring my husband, I ask you to be present in my marriage. Guide me to know in which things I should ask forgiveness, in which things I should change, and in which things I should ask for the grace to let go. Show me new ways to respect my husband today and open my eyes to all that you have made him to be. I trust in your goodness and in the covenant my husband and I made with you and each other on our wedding day. Through Jesus Christ I pray, Amen.*



No comments: