WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Sunday, June 3, 2007

Husband Encouragement Challenge : DAY 3

Reflections on yesterday... It was another good day. I continue to really think about what I'm going to say before I say it, how I'm going to react to different situations. It's such a GREAT habit to really be working on, and I'm so thankful for this challenge and for everyone who is also participating. You guys are keeping me accountable, and that makes such a difference!

Since Mom is here, Kevin and I were able to leave Eli with her and take off for the morning. We were going to rent a kayak but that'll have to wait until Tuesday, as the ONE 2-seat kayak was already out for the weekend. So we decided to go on an off-road trail (Kevin's big hobby) and have a picnic by a lake/pond. Along the way we had some struggles finding the lake, taking way longer than we thought, and then something made one of the shocks fall off so it was just dragging along in the back, but we had no tools to really fix it. We tried just tying it up but then it got wedged into the frame of the Jeep. Again no tools, so it was hard prying it out. In the end we Kevin got it "fixed" (so it wasn't dragging at least) and we were on our way again. And after backtracking a little bit and trying another path, we found the lake and enjoyed our lunch. Through all that I tried hard to say little and give him some space to do what he needed to do. And at the end I praised Kevin for being able to fix the Jeep, even though we had no tools, and for staying relatively calm throughout the whole bit!

In the afternoon Mom and I decided to bake a cake (checker board cake) and it took quite a long time to do but Kevin was so great to watch Eli that whole time so I could enjoy that time with my mom. I thanked him for watching Eli, and even though he thought it was no big deal, I told him that it is work and that I really do appreciate it. He's always so good about staying with Eli when I need him to (errands, while cooking dinner, if I want to go out). He's very good about letting me go out and have some "me time" whenever I need, and I appreciate it so much!

And of course, on a regular basis, Kevin is the one who fixes things around the house! Even though we're renting [a townhouse] and he doesn't have to do anything! He takes care of auto maintenance (mostly on his own, so we can save money), he calls for appointments, he talks to customer service if we problems with something, he calls the landlord. He cleans up after dinner, he grills, [on occasion] he helps cook dinner with me, he holds doors, he pays the dinner bill, he carries Eli on his back when we're hiking, he drives, he blows up Eli's swimming pool, he puts the crib together, he mops up the floor if the washer floods the basement... he does ALL those things without me asking! Husbands sure are great!

So, with that, are we ready for Day 3??

30-Day Husband Encouragement Challenge
By Nancy Leigh DeMoss

June 3--DAY 3

"And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:19

Love indeed suffers long and is kind. As you consider your Encouragement Challenge, determine today that you will not say anything negative to or about your husband. Speak kindly to him with words of genuine encouragement.

If your husband is considerate of your needs, let him know that you have noticed. Thank him for his kindness and consideration. Thank the Lord that your husband knows how to be both tough and tender.

Sometimes it's difficult for a man to be gentle, kind or tender—especially if he hasn't had role models in these areas. If he's not a considerate person, appeal to him for help without complaining. Let him know that it's hard for you to handle some things alone. Then, when he moves in to help, don't insist that he do it your way. Be glad that he is responding, and express your gratitude.

Ultimately, you can't expect your husband to make you feel more secure, loved, etc.

Remember that only God can meet the deepest needs of your heart.

Alright, so that's the challenge for day 3. If you're in, sign your name below so we can share in how you're doing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Day 2 & 3

So, yesterday I thought I did a pretty good job w/ keeping all negativity to myself. I would catch myself. Today, I haven't really seen much of hubby..Shawn was gone the majority of the day w/ church and helping someone move. I actually stayed at home from church(needed to do homework and a lot of other chores around the house...I can play hookie every once in a while:) I have really been trying to stay positive with my words. I try to not raise my voice.

I am thankful....
-I was feeling like I was going to faint yesterday while waiting in line and he tended to my needs.
-I have a selfless husband.
-Wanting to serve in the church even if it means driving 45 minutes to help with a 2hr ministry.
-Letting me pick out dinner and getting it, since he spent most of the day helping someone move.
-Taking Henry outside/feeding and such when I needed to study.
-When I need to talk to him even if its at 11pm.
-Taking care of all car maintenance.
-Compassionate

In Light of the Truth... said...

Good job, Lisa! what a great list of things to be thankful for!