WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Monday, June 4, 2007

Husband Encouragement Challenge: DAY 4

Reflections on yesterday...
To be honest, for the most part it seemed like a normal day. I didn't say anything negative to Kevin, but then again, no situation of that sort really arose. He did do several things throughout the day though, for which I thanked him:
* I was in front of the bathroom mirror putting my makeup on in the morning when Kevin decided he was going to shave. After setting his things at the sink, he said "I'll wait. You go ahead and finish." While I certainly could have shared the sink area, he was so thoughtful and courteous to let me go first.
* Seems silly, but later in the day when Kevin picked up milk from the store, he got Low-Fat instead of Whole milk (his favorite). So I knew, he did that for others and not for himself, so it was definitely worth praise aside from him going to the store for me in the first place!
* That evening he also cleaned the bathtub, without me asking!

I'll try to say this as positively as I can... things like this don't exactly come naturally for my husband. Being considerate and going out of his way to do something without being asked is sometimes a challenge. However, if I leave him a list, he'll so kindly do every thing on it, so he's great in that area. He helps out all the time! I do think that my positive attitude and encouragement this week is starting to make a difference in him too... maybe? It definitely has been a happier week for us, and I'm excited to see how much brighter life will be after these 30 days!


30-Day Husband Encouragement Challenge
By Nancy Leigh DeMoss

June 4--DAY 4

" . . . let him labor, working with his hands what is good . . . " Eph. 4:28

We are all accountable for the things we say, both negative and positive words. Have you embraced the challenge to speak only positive things to your husband and to others about him? Here's a suggestion that touches the core of your husband's world.

Some women take their husband's career for granted, and they show it in many ways. Do you "dump" on your husband at the end of the workday, or do you strengthen and encourage him with your words? A wise wife will make her husband feel that she values and appreciates his work. Let him know that you are glad he is a hard worker. Take opportunities to praise his diligence and resourcefulness to others.

If your husband is out of work, unable to work, or refuses to work, you'll need to be more creative. Praise him for a character quality that you see in him that would be a vital part of a successful career—such as persistence, decisiveness, strength, an analytical mind, organizational skills, good with people, good listener, determination, etc.



7 comments:

Grace said...

I'm a little late, but I would like to join your husband encouragement challenge!

:)

Grace said...

Oh, I was going to say, I'm going to start on Day 4 so we'll be in sync... I'll just add a few extra days on the end. :)

Jen said...

I'm taking up the challenge and while this weekend was not too difficult- hubby is building a fence and working VERY hard around here today was another matter. I was planning on running several errands this morning but when I went to get the car keys- they were not there!!! They had been on the dresser w/ DH's "pocket items" (wallet, change, etc...). Guess where they are now!!! And he's at work. I couldn't reach him so I called my friend and told her the story- noting I can't say anything negative but I'm truly irritated. To sum up- He called, the keys ARE with him- oh well, I'll go tomorrow. He called again to see how mad I really am and funny thing is... I'm not really mad at all. Everyone makes mistakes and should be allowed a little slack. He feels bad and didn't intend to thwart my plans- the last thing he needs is me griping an him.

Jen said...

Have to add... just as soon as I posted the last comment DH called and offered to drive home at lunch with the keys. He's a great guy!!! I don't NEED them so I declined- I don't want him to have to spend his lunch hour on the road.

madridmom said...

I'm joining in too. Don't know how often I will post but I am looking for opportunities to be a more positive wife to my husband. We'll be married 20 years this month and it was a timely challenge to me to put some more effort into making our marriage flourish and grow. It's too easy to just get "comfortable" and not really appreciate one's spouse. I want him to know that he is much more than just a "roommate".
Thanks for the invite to join in the challenge. I love your site and look forward to exploring it more in the days to come.
Alice

In Light of the Truth... said...

I am so thankful for my husband's work, allowing us to live comfortably while I stay at home with Eli. Being in the military, he wakes up EARLY (5am) every single day, and sometimes he gets on a job such that he works straight through the weekends for a couple weekends in a row, not to mention all the years he was on a ship and out for weeks/months at a time. And when he does have a few days off, he spends most of it doing auto maintenance. Plus all the work he does at home, like cleaning up after dinner every night, taking out trash, heavy-duty cleaning, and other misc things. Kevin is a hard worker, and I'm so proud of him! I appreciate all he does for our family!

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
You are so lucky you are able to stay at home with Eli! Some moms do not have than advantage. Keep praising. I've heard husbands want just as much praise as wives do. Love you. Lisa T