WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

So glad you came to visit today! Here at my little corner of bloggy world I share a little bit about everything--family, parenting, goals, struggles, photography, recipes, n more! So curl up with a cup of hot tea {or not} and feel free to peruse around my site! Check out my sidebar for links. And come back again!

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Husband Encouragement Challenge

Reflections on yesterday...
Yesterday's challenge was to focus on how I appreciate my husband's hard work. I have to admit, sometimes this is hard for me to do because right now in his navy career he has a pretty easy schedule and is often home by noon after going in at 6:30. But yesterday I really thought about what he does, and regardless of his schedule, he does work very hard, at work and at home, and I am soooo thankful. He is the provider for this family, and I appreciate that very very much. And periodically I do tell him "Thanks for working, honey, so that I can stay home with Eli." Here's the comment I wrote on yesterday's blog:
I am so thankful for my husband's work, allowing us to live comfortably while I stay at home with Eli. Being in the military, he wakes up EARLY (5am) every single day, and sometimes he gets on a job such that he works straight through the weekends for a couple weekends in a row, not to mention all the years he was on a ship and out for weeks/months at a time. And when he does have a few days off, he spends most of it doing auto maintenance. Plus all the work he does at home, like cleaning up after dinner every night, taking out trash, heavy-duty cleaning, and other misc things. Kevin is a hard worker, and I'm so proud of him! I appreciate all he does for our family!


I've taken a peek at today's challenge and I'm excited for it....

30-Day Husband Encouragement Challenge
By Nancy Leigh DeMoss

June 5--DAY 5
"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers." Eph. 4:29

Another way to describe the positive side of this "30-Day Encouragement Challenge" is by using the word "edify," which means, "to build up." Negative comments only discourage and tear down. Positive comments encourage and build.

Do you edify your husband before others, adding to his value in their eyes? This is especially important to other family members.

Do you praise your husband to his relatives, and yours? Does your husband's mother know how much you love him? How about your dad? Perhaps you can drop a word of praise into a conversation or letter. Be creative in letting your relatives know that you respect your husband, love him, and support him - in spite of whatever flaws and weaknesses he may have.

Hmm... alright this gets me thinking. What can I do today? since I know this is something I could work on.... Today I'm going to write a kind letter to Kevin's family, including several wonderful things that he's been doing around here, how much I love being married to him, how much I love this life, this family. We'll see what I come up with and maybe when it's done I'll share it with you! Not today, but as a future practice, I want to make sure I say at least one nice thing Kevin's done when I talk on the phone with friends or family, EVERY time I talk on the phone with friends and family. I know every week on my Thankful Thursday list I make sure I include Kevin on something and find something that I'm specifically thankful for about him or that he's done. Not only does it help my heart and my attitude, but it builds him before others.

Also today I'm making him a little snack, just for him (but I'll probably eat some too), since a couple weeks ago he mentioned how he'd like to have more frequent small snacks and treats than just one main dessert a week. So that's what I'm going to do today... that part will be my "Tackle It Tuesday"! haha. How fun!

So if you're doing the challenge today, good luck! Let us know what you're doing and how it's going!



6 comments:

Sarah said...

I love your idea of a letter.. I thought about calling my mother in law today, but I think that a letter would be even more special and could be shared more easily with his dad and family if she wants. :) Thanks for the idea! :)

Laura said...

This is such a wonderful idea! I just discovered it, and don't have a proper moment to post my encourgament for Big D, but I'm looking forward to stopping in again!

Thanks for this terrific effort. :)

Grace said...

I love the idea of a letter, too! I am thinking I will tell my mom how well he's doing with our money when I talk to her today (what I wrote on my blog), but I think I may also send a quick email to HIS mom as well. Maybe a e-Thank You Card for her son! Great idea. :)

Anonymous said...

This is a very hard one for me. Because of the relationship (or lack of) that I have with my mother-in-law, it'd be almost weird to communicate with her outside of my husband being in the conversation. But, she has been trying for 7 years to have a solid relationship with me. Maybe I will find the courage to contact her today.

Anonymous said...

I have been slacking a little. I need to blog everyday. I never thought I'd ever say "blog" but that's besides the point. Edifying your husband before others...This is a pet peeve of mine. I hate to see other women or men for that matter criticize or make fun of their spouse in public. Honestly, Shawn has been a lot better about this. He would never make fun of me. but hubby would crack jokes trying to be funny. It did hurt my feelings:) So, hubby has really been trying to make an extra effort to not hurt my feelings in public. My father does know how much I care for Shawn. My father is very proud of Shawn. Father knows he has a stable job and good family. I really try to praise Shawn when speaking to my parents. I heard a mother once say to her daughter, "Never criticize your husband in public." That has always stuck with me. I don't think I'll send a letter to Shawn's parents but when I talk to them next, I'll mention several praises. Hard worker...Okay, I am going to steal your idea since we are sorta in the same boat. I am VERY thankful he is able to support me going to school and not working. I am thankful we are able to substain our way of living. Shawn is not necessary working the long hours now as he did when he was going out to sea, but he is still working hard!!! Praise the lord!!
Lisa T.

Anonymous said...

Correction. " I am thankful we are able to continue NOT substain our way of living" Oops!!! LT